"Crashpad" Law in New York - Posted by Scott

Posted by BTI on April 29, 2007 at 11:34:23:

Scott

Don’t know NY law, but it sounds like your landlord thinks he found a loophole. I doubt he is exempt from the NY landlord/tenant laws.

And if he is renting a bed and claims exemption from month to month or leasing, then he is surely non-exempt from the laws that cover hotels, motels, etc. and would need a business license and fulfill the other requirements of that type of operation.

Plus there is no such thing in anystate that I know of where you can get a deposit, not deliver, and keep the money. As a landlord I would never expect to win that case in small claims court.

I assume the property is located in an area covered by rent control, why don’t you start your research with them. Plus I’m sure NY State’s landlord/tenant laws are online, check them out.

BTI

“Crashpad” Law in New York - Posted by Scott

Posted by Scott on April 28, 2007 at 10:36:53:

Are there any laws governing the running of “crashpads” for pilots in New York. Our landlord believes that we are not tennants and only rent a bed space from him. The crashpad we moved into was not ready for us when we moved in and he is claiming that our deposit is non-refundable even upon moving out. Any guidence would be appreciated.