Credit Repair Organizations - Posted by Jim

Posted by Douglas on August 18, 2003 at 14:07:24:

The info must be verified w/in 30 days. Once deleted it cannot come back.

Credit Repair Organizations - Posted by Jim

Posted by Jim on August 11, 2003 at 01:20:48:

Hello,

Can anyone help me with this?

Has anyone had any luck with ICR Services or Lexington Law Firm? or, do you know of anyone else that’s reputable to clean up credit?

Thank you!

Jim

Re: Credit Repair Organizations - Posted by Bruce Lawson

Posted by Bruce Lawson on September 03, 2003 at 10:42:02:

Hi Jim,

Most of all the responses are accurate, you can do all the work yourself. It does take a bit of your time and requires patience and some knowledge of the Fair Credit Reporting Act to be successful.

Not all credit repair companies are scams. Just as any other business those companies that took advantage of people on the internet and ripped people off tarnished the reputation of the entire industry. As for ICR Services and Lexington law firm they both have good and bad stories. I actually represent ICR Services and I am aware of the negative responses that come from those that have not had the success that others may have received. I can not speak for Lexington law firm but I do know I have received clients that used their service who were not happy.

As I mentioned earlier anyone can can dispute their own inaccuracies, but the question is how do you know it is an acutal inaccuracy? That is what makes reputable credit repair companies earn their fees.

Sincerely,

Bruce Lawson

Re: Credit Repair Organizations - Posted by Elizabeth (NJ)

Posted by Elizabeth (NJ) on August 12, 2003 at 20:56:47:

I think I posted a response to a similar question just recently, but here’s the answer you need.

9 of every 10 credit repair organizations are scams run by people who have tapped into our paranoia about credit.

I specialize in debtor-creditor law (bankruptcy), consumer credit, etc. (paralegal not atty) and the one thing I have known for the 20 years I have been in this business is that you can do it yourself.

You need to document everything in writing. First, call the 3 credit reporting agencies for free copies of credit reports (Experian: 888-322-5583; TransUion: 800-916-8800, and Equifax: 800-797-6801) – I hope I’m not violating any rules by putting these numbers here.

Be sure to get copies of all three reports - they don’t all report on the same debts.

Any discrepancies, errors, mistakes, etc. must be pointed out to the agency in a letter that states your full name, your mother’s maiden name, your SSN, your addresses for the last 5 years, and the reason for your letter. Don’t tell your life story in the letter. Get to the point. For instance. “Please correct the entry at the report for XXX[name of creditor] to indicate that this bill was paid in full. Attached is a copy of the statement received from XXX [name of creditor] clearly showing the debt paid in full. I understand that, pursuant to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, you must make this correction within 30 days from the date of this letter.” The agency must notify the creditor that you have requested this correction. IF the creditor does not respond w/in 30 days, the CR agency must make your requested correction. If the creditor responds w/in 30 days with something other than what you are representing, you have an opportunity to dispute that info. Keep copies of everything you receive or send out in an organized fashion.

It’s all a matter of paperwork back & forth, but in the end you will be happy you did it yourself.

Remember: Be the leader of your own financial team - if not, someone else will be.

Good luck.

Elizabeth

Re: Lexington - Posted by James Mc (IL)

Posted by James Mc (IL) on August 12, 2003 at 01:25:33:

I’ve used Lexington. They don’t work very fast, but if you only have a few items, they are O.K. EXCEPT they will work (verify) things that you might not want off.

Anything that they do, you can do.

Look on the web.!!!

Each bureau has their own site to pull your own file. I’ve had limited sucess with them.

They do BS you, about the real laws.

They have by law 30 days to verify info, if they can’t then the law says that they must remove the entry.

This is what thoese agency do, write letters or fax to verify.

check the web. creditfix.org I think.

James Mc (IL)

Re: Credit Repair Organizations - Posted by Gib

Posted by Gib on August 11, 2003 at 22:30:51:

Before you send ICR your cash, read this from the FTC website:

As was already posted, do it yourself and save some cash. Check the discussion forums at creditnet.com and creditboards.com

Gib

Re: Credit Repair Organizations - Posted by Randahl Benson

Posted by Randahl Benson on August 11, 2003 at 22:09:10:

Do not use those services. With a little time and effort, you can do the same things yourself. It is NOT worth what they charge. They make it sound inexpensive-in reality is is very expensive. Figure out their monthly fees and multiply by 12-18. That’s how long it will take them. Also, anything they can get removed, you can do on your own. If you need help drafting letters let me know.

Re: Credit Repair Organizations - Posted by joseph

Posted by joseph on September 29, 2003 at 15:55:52:

I have an item that i have disputed, but the only response that it is reported correctly. It is a Co-applicant account for MBNA… how do i obtain proof that i actually applied for that account?

please reply to jmadison@aamu.edu

Re: Credit Repair Organizations - Posted by Jim

Posted by Jim on August 11, 2003 at 22:39:46:

Thank you for the info!

Re: Credit Repair Organizations - Posted by jim

Posted by jim on August 11, 2003 at 22:27:58:

Thank you for the advice!

Randahl,

I could really use some sample letters if you have any.

I’m trying to help my friend out with buying a condo and he has the following issues with his reports:

*inaccurate info
*Federal lein
*wrong addresses
*Charge offs

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim

Very simple to do yourself - Posted by Steve (Atl)

Posted by Steve (Atl) on August 13, 2003 at 10:39:44:

you do not need a guide. Just get the reports from each agency. Find on each report the innaccurate info and write a letter to the agancy to have the items removed. I have done this numerous times. Now mind you that if you request that they remove the accurate info, they may temporarily, until it is further investigated. But if it proves accurate to them, the item will come back on.