Credit Report Hall of Fame Nominee - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on April 19, 2006 at 06:45:50:

Good idea, Ryan!

Tye

Credit Report Hall of Fame Nominee - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on April 17, 2006 at 10:54:51:

I’ve seen hundreds of credit reports over the past quarter of a century, but today discovered a new item–a collection account for $50 from Dairy Queen! (Though I have seen my share of video store & publlic library collections.) My guess it is one of several bad checks, as the 15 collection accts include an auto parts store, a Super Vaue, etc. Among these gems is an inquiry from American Express. I like to see optimism in folks, but this is a bit beyond–

Tye

Re: Credit Report Hall of Fame Nominee - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on April 20, 2006 at 09:40:18:

One screening technique I use as a matter of routine is to have the applicant fill out the entire application and then hand it and their driver’s license to me.

I then turn the paper sideways and write the following info from their driver’s license (after comparing the picture): Date of birth, address, driver’s license number, state of driver’s license.

Even though they have already written it down I ask them their social security number. (Not everyone and not every state use the social security # as the driver’s license number anymore).

In most cases they repeat it perfectly and quickly. In many cases they say “I wrote it down.” I respond with “yeah I know but the company likes to see me write it down in my hand writing on the side as proof the I reviewed your application.”

One of three things happens. One is they quickly and accurately repeat the social security number. Two they hand me a social security card (these can be faked and most likely we would not know). Three and most telling (AND YES THIS HAPPENS) they tell me the wrong social security number after having just written it down!

This does not happen often but when it does you know you have a fraud on your hands. The first one that did this looked me in the eye and said “oops, guess I better go huh.”

Re: Credit Report Hall of Fame Nominee - Posted by Bobbie

Posted by Bobbie on April 19, 2006 at 02:00:54:

Hi Tye,

Who do you use for credit reports? I’ve been relying on the park. I don’t believe this is a good idea and would like to run my own. Just not sure who to use.

Any suggestion or recommendation by ANYONE will be greatly appreciated.

Gratefully,
Bobbie :slight_smile:

Re: Credit Report Hall of Fame Nominee - Posted by rise2it (VA)

Posted by rise2it (VA) on April 18, 2006 at 24:37:12:

You’ve got my vote. Getting nailed by ‘Dairy Queen’ is pretty pathetic.

Congrats on doing background checks and not becoming future judgement #16. !!!

Re: Credit Report Hall of Fame Nominee - Posted by Daphne Lowe

Posted by Daphne Lowe on April 20, 2006 at 21:31:47:

I just do a quick xerox copy of the applicants’ driver’s license, SS card, and paystub/w2.

Daphne

Re: Credit Report Hall of Fame Nominee - Posted by Todd (AZ)

Posted by Todd (AZ) on April 20, 2006 at 09:53:52:

Excellent post Tony. I’m working near the AZ/Mexico border and your post will be helpful here for sure. Thanks. Todd (AZ)

Re: Credit Report Hall of Fame Nominee - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on April 19, 2006 at 06:44:38:

I use www.mrlandlord.com. It isn’t just the score you want/ I like to see payment patterns, types of creditors. Does the guy support his kids, or did the county have to take him to court? Medical bills don’t bother me; in fact, I expect them. However, if the guy never returns his video rental, that speaks more to his habits & character.

Tye

Re: Credit Report Hall of Fame Nominee - Posted by Ryan (NC)

Posted by Ryan (NC) on April 19, 2006 at 02:54:36:

Bobbie,

We personally use citicredit.net because they were easy to set up and didn’t give us a hassle about using their service for MH’s in parks. There are dozens of good companies out there (mrlandlord also comes) to mind or try goggling for “tenant credit reports” and you should find what you’re looking for.

As a side note to the powers that be here, I still think this would be a great service for this site to offer.

Best wishes,
Ryan Needler

Re: Credit Report Hall of Fame Nominee - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on April 18, 2006 at 07:44:35:

I was correct that it was a series of bad checks. When I pointed out the 15 small collection accounts, the prospect was aghast until I suggested a check problem. “Oh yeah, I know what those are–I had a joint account. . . .”

Tye

Re: Credit Report Hall of Fame Nominee - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on April 20, 2006 at 21:39:25:

Which works perfect and best for 99% of the applicants. Since this string was about “Hall of Fame” applicants I wished to point out that sometimes friends loan their info (knowing or otherwise) to other ‘friends’ who when questioned cannot repeat what’s on the documents.

Posted by Bobbie on April 19, 2006 at 23:14:26:

Thank you Tye for the info needed.
I’ll check this out. I printed out your message to keep in my folder so I’ll remember to watch for the items you listed. GREAT IDEA!

Many thanks,
Bobbie

Posted by Bobbie on April 19, 2006 at 23:12:21:

Thank you Ryan for the info.
I’ll be checking this site out.
I’m in agreement with you – it would be wonderful to have this site offer credit reporting service.

Bobbie :slight_smile: