CS Mentoring - Posted by Kalent

Posted by RichV(FL) on July 17, 2003 at 16:30:45:

Kalnet,

To find a local club in your area check the “clubs” section of this web site.

Best of Luck,

RichV(FL)

CS Mentoring - Posted by Kalent

Posted by Kalent on July 17, 2003 at 03:58:08:

I have recently purchased the Carleton Sheets course and have been offered the opportunity to take part in their “pilot program” of mentoring. I am interested in various opinions concerning these type of programs and any specific comments from any students of this particular program recently…

Thanks

Re: CS Mentoring - Posted by Brenda Whittaker

Posted by Brenda Whittaker on July 22, 2003 at 21:11:24:

I spent $4000 on this mentoring and got nothing. I was promised a trip to Florida to meet CS, and one hour per week of coaching for a year. I got half an hour a week for a few weeks, and the advice was useless. Like the phyciatrist that just says “What do YOU think?” It was a crushing blow.

Re: CS Mentoring - Posted by dell-ohio

Posted by dell-ohio on July 20, 2003 at 21:27:43:

If information was the KEY to becoming a real estate investor then people on this site would be buying a LOT more properties.

I am not a mentor (well I am helping a couple newbies locally for free) and I have noting to sell.

But twenty years ago I attended a Robert Allen boot camp for 3,200 and had a phone coach for a year. Of all the things I have spend money on I have to admit this was the best money I ever spent.

My first deal more than paid for the course.

Started doing real estate almost full time in January. We have purchased twelve properties since than… this is a wonderful life and very profitable, I love it.

If you are not actively investing in real estate, out of uncertainty, fear or lack of motivation, I would highly encourage hooking up with a solid mentor.

my viewpoint

dell-ohio

Maybe the one positive thing about mentoring - Posted by Eric

Posted by Eric on July 19, 2003 at 06:00:30:

I took the CS mentoring program and for the most part I agree with the people who say things against it. You can get a lot of that info for free here.

But maybe the only positive thing about mentoring is it gets you off your duff. Maybe I’m naturally lazy. But in the CS coaching program, you make a ‘contract’ with your ‘coach’ to go out and do specific weekly activities. So the program put deadlines in my life to go out and actually DO his course. And I definitely did buy two properties with help of the mentor (who I thought was very good) that I know I wouldn’t have - and more since then, that I probably wouldn’t have bought without the mentoring. And the cash back I got at the closings more than paid for the mentoring.

Now I know many of you here eat breathe and sleep this REI so you’re up at 6AM on a saturday anyway going after deals - but I’m sure not like that, this is very part-time with me.

And I’m doing pretty well now with my REI (buy and hold). And so if from this post you think I am naturally lazy, then it means the mentoring worked for me. I would not have done well in REI without it.

Re: CS Mentoring - Posted by Kalent

Posted by Kalent on July 17, 2003 at 14:39:05:

I appreciate all the input recieved. I have a couple of follow-up questions;

1. I live in the Northern New Jersey area. What is the best way to find a good real estate investing club in this area?

2. Are there any real differences in the Robert Allen methods vs Carleton Sheets methods? There is Allen seminar in the New York City area in July. In my opinion, I have been gathering information from several different sources for my education to try and get started. What approaches have worked for you as you try to get started out in the REI world?

Re: CS Mentoring - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on July 17, 2003 at 08:49:33:

Kalent,

I agree with Robert. The CS course is a good way to get started. But the mentoring is much to costly IMHO.

Why not join a local REI club in your area? They are a great way to network with other investors.

Great Success,

RichV(FL)

Re: CS Mentoring - Posted by robert getz

Posted by robert getz on July 17, 2003 at 08:26:50:

kalent,
I like you purchased the carleton sheets course, and was offered the mentor program. I declined due to financial reasons in 2000, and am glad i did. I have learned much more from this sight, than I would have from mentoring, besides, why pay someone to mentor you… when you can get all that information here… free.
These people are great, and there comments make alot more sense to me … but that is just my opinion…
good luck in your investing
bob getz

Re: Maybe the one positive thing about mentoring - Posted by Linda Simms

Posted by Linda Simms on August 15, 2003 at 11:34:46:

If you are willing to pay a lot, with money you could have used to make a good deal, to get someone to get you off your duff, instead of using your own initiative, then who am I to argue? If that is what it takes, that is what it takes. However, unless you develop sufficient initiative to operate on your own afterwards, it probably is not worth it, as your R.E. career, will probably then go down the drain. Good Luck and Good Investing. Linda.

Re: Maybe the one positive thing about mentoring - Posted by Linda Simms

Posted by Linda Simms on July 19, 2003 at 09:09:44:

To each his own.