Re: CS Mentoring Program…what an insult! - Posted by John Swope (KCMO)
Posted by John Swope (KCMO) on April 26, 2001 at 10:22:00:
I just wanted to add that I am currently participating in the coaching program. I chose to do so for a number of reasons (obviously specific to my needs):
(1) I hate wasting time; I get the information I need when I need it, because the program allows you to actually speak to the “coach on duty” between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. every weekday through the toll-free Resource Line. Also, I can ask “stupid” questions without feeling embarrassed - you know, those questions that would let any realtor and/or seller know that you don’t know jack about real estate.
(2) I can alleviate many potential mistakes by reviewing a situation with my coach first. We talk about some possible creative financing techniques, then structure an offer. Then, when I present the “well thought out” offer to a seller, I appear as a professional investor.
(3) I recognize that I personally need guidance and assurance to excel; with a coach, I have outside motivation to finish the tasks necessary to succeed.
(4) As was said in another followup, you will probably end up spending at least the same amount of money in trial and error, not to mention wasting a lot of time (which, for those of us who work a regular daytime job, can take away from the little family time we have to begin with). Also, particularly in real estate, the legal ramifications of a mistake can be costly!
(5) The coaches are the professionals who do REI for a living, and are proof of success. Since they’ve already made the mistakes, why not let them help you avoid them? This also helps you avoid reinventing the wheel in many cases.
(6) Though it may seem expensive, the cost should be recovered within a few months (possibly sooner, if you find a good deal and/or flip your first property).
(7) I personally must understand the “inner workings” of anything I do (as I’m a very analytical person) - I won’t feel comfortable/confident with what I’m asked to do unless I understand why I’m doing it and how to do it properly and efficiently. Coaching is, in my belief, the fastest and most cost effective way of achieving the goals I’ve set for REI.
Sorry to be so long-winded, but that’s my $2495 worth of input. Feel free to e-mail me with questions or comments, and I’ll be happy to share my experience. Also, if you’re interested in having discussions over the phone, let me know via e-mail - my cell phone service is toll free and unlimited nights and weekends, and I’d enjoy speaking with others who are involved in the CS program.
Thanks a bunch everyone!