cs:slight confidence problem - Posted by Erin Dugar

Posted by Al on January 24, 1999 at 21:26:30:

I’m also thinking that my age will play a big factor. I not exactly sure how everything works, but i’m willing to learn. My biggest fear is that because i’m really just started to work on the books i’ll have lack of credit. any suggestions are welcome.

cs:slight confidence problem - Posted by Erin Dugar

Posted by Erin Dugar on January 22, 1999 at 24:23:24:

I am a member of the CS enthusiasts. What’s more than that, I am currently enrolled in the CS Coaching Program. I love the idea, believe that it will work and that I can make it work. Overall, I am extremely excited to see what the future holds. After reading through the posts, my motivation has increases ten-fold, BUT, I have one speed bump that seems through the roof; my age.

I am 19 years old. EEECH! Will people take me seriously? The fear of not being looked at as an individual responsible and serious enough to invest has stopped me from beginning on my future more than any other. I know that this is not true, my family knows this is not true, but I have a problem believing that strangers will not.

After reading dear Frank’s post, I am even more fired up to get out there and suceede. Mostly because I threw away my college education to enroll in the coaching program. (My parents agreed to pay the fee under the circumstances that it would be thier last financial obligation in the way of education) My doubts are not with the program, nor do I regret enrolling, however, I cannot seem to shake my self-doubts.

I live in Colorado. I am open to advice in overcoming my fear and age, as well as looking for investors in my area who may be willing to assist me in the market. Here in Boulder the cost of a typical “bread-and-butter” property is $175K to $250K and beyond! WOW!

I would appreciate confidence boosters and opinions, positive or negative, from those of you reading this.

Honestly, am I too young to believe that I can make this work?

Re: cs:slight confidence problem - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on January 24, 1999 at 19:40:06:

Don’t sweat the age thing, I used to sweat it myself. I started out being a landlord when I was 22. I am now 29 and have tenants that range from age 22 to 55 years. Also I am starting a new management job next week and the guy I am replacing was 45 years old. Now I step into his shoes as a young buck. Big deal I already KNOW that I can do the job twice as good as he ever could.

The key to the whole thing is how you think about yourself. If you look confident, dress confident, act confident, and think confident you will be perceived as competent and able. The insecurity that most people have is all in their mind. Start reading books like “How to Win Friends and Influence People”, “The Magic of Thinking Big”, and “The Power of Positive Thinking.” If you read this stuff enough and put it into practice, eventually it will show up in your thinking and your actions.

Best wishes. You can do it.

Re: cs:slight confidence problem - Posted by David S

Posted by David S on January 24, 1999 at 18:54:04:

Very interesting! I purchased my first mobile home park when I was 19. The age thing is a problem for you and you only. The true motivated seller is willing to talk ‘baby talk’ if it will cure their problem.

Remember one thing; Life can’t eat you! The only thing that stands if front of you is the mirror.

Good Luck! David S

Re: cs:slight confidence problem - Posted by George

Posted by George on January 23, 1999 at 22:54:47:

I don’t want to start this with “When I was 19…”. So here’s my advice. You need to look and act professional so as not to even have the “How old is that guy?” question come up. Be clean-cut, clean shaven and dress conservatively and neatly. Wear a shirt and tie when appropriate. I hate to wear a tie, but when I do, I am treated differently by the people I meet. You get better service in restaurants, stores, and especially at the tax assessor’s office or the township construction official etc. Your written communication skills seem good, so I would assume your verbal skills are too. That’s important. Just go out and do the deals with honesty and integrity. Say what you mean and do what you say. Some sellers may not give you any credibility, so what! It’s the same as having one of your offers rejected. It happens to everyone, just go on to the next deal. Once you get the first one done, they all get easier. Good luck and make sure you enjoy what you do!

Re: cs:slight confidence problem - Posted by Lorenzo,NC

Posted by Lorenzo,NC on January 23, 1999 at 10:12:10:

Erin,

I’m not much older than you are and I have found myself thinking the samething. I have found that the more you educate yourself about REI that confidence will be evident to people that you contact. Think of something that terrified you at the beginning like the first time you drove a car or learning to ride a bike,etc

and how your confidence improved over time.Be patient and stay focused on your goals!!!

Re: cs:slight confidence problem - Posted by MichaelR (NoVA)

Posted by MichaelR (NoVA) on January 22, 1999 at 09:45:54:

Erin,

There are some people who will look at your age and question your ability to follow through on deals. There are also some people who would do the same because you are a male, female, white, black, purple, green, drive a pinto, drive a mercedes, and everything else on the planet.

The majority of these people may have a certain apprehension at the outset if you look your age. But that same majority can easily be eased of that fear by seeing how you conduct yourself, how you speak, how you dress, and/or any number of other factors.

More than just age goes into a person’s perception of you.

One of the beliefs that I hold to be true is that the meaning of my communication is the response that I get.

That’s a pretty clear statement, but I’ve seen people grapple with it so allow me to expand a bit.

Essentially, I’m saying that what you INTEND to happen as a result of something you say means absolutely nothing. The response of the person you are communicating to, is what is the true meaning of what you said or did.

Applying this to the age issue, one could say that if you get the response “too young” or whatever…that it is a result of something you are putting out. Consider everything you can do to convey maturity and wisdom, and you should be fine, but always take time to observe the response you are getting and WHY so that you can adjust you behavior accordingly.

Now, for a little real world advice from someone who has been there.

I started my first business venture back in my pre-pubescent days. After being called “ma’am” one too many times on the telephone, I started deepening my voice. It didn’t always work, and the squeaks were funny as hell to listen in on.

Regardless, in the beginning I found I wasn’t being taken seriously. I probably entertained the thought that it was just not possible because of my age, but if I did it wasn’t for long. I mean, after all, that would mean that I was doomed to school and cartoons for at least a few more years. Yuck.

Instead, I worked on polishing EVERYTHING else to be as effective as possible. And funny things started to happen, specifically, people started paying attention because I sounded, appeared, and presented myself in a way that gave them confidence.

I also made sure our first contact (and preferably only contact) was by phone.

You, being 19, should not have any problems with the meeting part. But using the telephone in a skillful manner, will go a long way to soften or completely eliminate any “age shock” the other person may have.

One other thing.

Once I hit 19-20 or so, I started growing a beard. It puts years on you right away, unless it won’t come in full. Then you just look like an idiot.

Anyway…my $.02

Michael

Re: cs:slight confidence problem - Posted by TIm Conde

Posted by TIm Conde on January 22, 1999 at 24:37:27:

I don’t know the laws state by state, but at 19, are you old enough to make a contract for the purchase of real estate in your state?

Tim