Curb Appeal

I must admit that I am probably lacking in curb appeal in my small park. I always spent my time focusing on the interior upkeep and upgrades and spent little time on the exterior.

The demand in my area was and still is strong and exterior has not proven to be a liability although it’s time has come. My market has always just fallen in love with the laminate flooring, clean, painted walls and other interior projects I have focused on over the years.

This year my hope is to spend a bit more time on the exterior of the homes. Don’t get me wrong, I have rebuild decks and steps over the years but never done much exterior painting. I have a couple homes that are badly in need of roof painting/sealing (as described in the New Kool seal post).

You know, the reality is that for a couple of hundred bucks in materials you can seal the roof and paint the exterior of these old homes and make them look darn near brand new! How often do we really get that much bang for so few bucks? The homes that I painted 7 years ago still look good so this investment will last.

Honestly this is so little money and the work can be completed by one person in a weekend.

The home that I roof sealed cost under $100 in material (paint, extension pole and rollers). The exterior paint ran $92 for 5 gallons. I will buy one more gallon to touch up the trim (I tried to race the rain on this and lost). so let’s say the gallon extra runs $20.

All totalled this huge improvement in looks and marketability would run under $250.

Even Lonnie dealers should like this price. I bet you pay that or much more for one month’s lot rent alone.

I added store bought shutters for 3 large windows in the front of the home. This cost about $120 and not necessarily what I would continue to do for all the homes. I will look into alternatives that are both attractive and affordable and/or something I can make myself right of my truck.

A few years ago I gathered folks together here in Morganton to put our heads together on how to weather this economic storm and on of the first suggestions on our list was … paint the exterior of the homes. Well Bernd, I am finally getting around to it!

Tony

Curb appeal is like curve appeal: the first impression or perception counts. Anything beyond that is already influenced by a relative bias. If the inside appears equally attractive, then a positive relationship or a winning combination is a fait accompli. In other words – you really can’t go wrong with that.

[QUOTE=Bernd Hanak;884999]Curb appeal is like curve appeal: the first impression or perception counts. [/QUOTE]

I love the analogy.

[QUOTE=Bernd Hanak;884999]Anything beyond that is already influenced by a relative bias. If the inside appears equally attractive, then a positive relationship or a winning combination is a fait accompli. In other words – you really can’t go wrong with that.[/QUOTE]

Well said.