Cut my hair? This is a serious post! - Posted by Briton (IN)

Posted by Philip on June 27, 2003 at 09:54:08:

nt

Cut my hair? This is a serious post! - Posted by Briton (IN)

Posted by Briton (IN) on June 26, 2003 at 24:58:27:

I am 19, and own my own park I have been on the boards for about 6 months now. Many of you know me, and many do not. (i read more than post) Anyways…I am 19, and have not cut my hair for 2 years. I wear it in a pony that does not look to good really. I do not dress that well either really. So anyways should i cut it? I have done 5 lonnie deals, got people to move their homes in my park. I am successfull, but i am always dirty (i own my park, do lonnie deals, maintain the park, have a small lawn cutting bussiness,do odd jobs, and work 18 hours a week as a Janitor at a local factory) Many people think i work too much (girlfriend) But anyways my point is, i am usually dirty, and my hair falls all over, ect. Does it really matter? Will i loose many deals over this, or do people respect it, and think i must work hard. I sometimes think that people who live in trailers, see me as more of “one of them almost” like they repect that. see link http://www.real-estate-online.com/mobilehomes/wwwboard4/messages/28275.html The bottom line is this: Should i cut my hair and look more professional? Will i do better, even if its just a little here and there? thanx, Briton

Re: Cut my hair? This is a serious post! - Posted by John (Rome)

Posted by John (Rome) on June 29, 2003 at 06:46:12:

perhaps the fact that you’re questioning yourself on this might be a hint on what you feel should be done.

just my .02

great going by the way.

Re: Cut my hair? This is a serious post! - Posted by Chuck-NY

Posted by Chuck-NY on June 28, 2003 at 08:46:53:

I saw all the posts and decided I would offer my .002579 cents worth…

I agree with Ann_ND. If you stop & think about it, you are bothered by something that may have never bothered you before…I don’t see any reason you can’t appease your conscience by cutting your hair and start looking a little cleaner. You really have nothing to lose (except some dirt & hair). Do you really think your business will suffer if you cut your hair & look cleaner? Experiment with your concerns & get back here and tell us if the change made any difference or not with your business etc. etc. Like Ann said you can always grow it again…and the dirt…well…the dirt is always there ready & willing to welcome you with open arms…forgive me…I’ve been up since 8pm last night…it’s 9:50am now…zzzzzzz

Re: Cut my hair? This is a serious post! - Posted by Mike(Al)

Posted by Mike(Al) on June 27, 2003 at 01:10:04:

Takes me back about 28 years.I will soon be 47,when I was in college my hair was down to my butt.It took me about a year to tire of the unrulyness and it got cut. A good thing to do is trim it in stages,this will give you a chance to get a look you are happy with.Get some dockers,nice golf shirts and dressier shoes.I agree with many of the others,make your own money and forget banks.

Re: Cut my hair? This is a serious post! - Posted by Ed C (CA)

Posted by Ed C (CA) on June 27, 2003 at 24:37:13:

Your words remind me of me at your age. I’m considerably older now. I could not see the value of learning proper English. The older I got, the more I could see the failure of my thinking. I could see that just getting along with English was not OK. I needed to strive for more. Briton, you sound like a bright young man. Strive for more than just appealing to your tennants, and making statements regarding long hair, wild tatto’s & ect,ect. The most successful people I know all have great “People Skills”. People skills involves more than just talking to people. How you approach people is probably the most important skill to learn. Do you think long hair, dirty clothes will ease your approach to people? How many posts have you read that ask how to approach PM’s? A lot,yes. How is your approach going to be in a few years when you need to approach a Bank regards a loan for your 2nd or 3 rd MHP. Or you are asked to relate your sucess story at a CRE Convention. I mean NO disrespect of you but reading your serious post, I thought it deserved a serious answer. Don’t straddle the fence!

Re: Cut my hair? This is a serious post! - Posted by Al (Wi)

Posted by Al (Wi) on June 26, 2003 at 23:00:17:

Paul (Tx) is right on. You don’t need to invest the time and money to get a degree just to lose a nice ‘clean’ corporate job, as long as you can generate the cash to live the life style you want. Your park, and a few Lonnie deals a year should satisfy that, if not, get a bigger park, you already have the education to do that.
Everyone wants you to ‘clean up’ so you can talk a banker out of some of his banks money. I disagree.
You already know how to educate yourself, learn how to manage your deals so that a banker is never needed.
Where in Lonnie’s books did he sent us to a bank to get a loan? YOU be the banker, YOU make the loans.
So, why cut your hair? Why clean up?
One of these days you will have so much money your girlfrend will make you go to some joint that wont let you in without a tie. Boy, will you be miserable wearing it! Or, you could start preparing now with a haircut. Your choice.

Re: Cut my hair? This is a serious post! - Posted by Tony-VA/NC

Posted by Tony-VA/NC on June 26, 2003 at 17:13:22:

One could tip toe around the “freedom” of being oneself and not allowing anyone to impose their will upon you. Others might suggest the prejudice of others in the “business/banking” world who might not receive you appearance very well.

If you ever attend one of the conventions you will find that real estate investors are a varied crowd indeed. All different shapes and sizes, ages, appearances and attitudes.

At the last mobile home workshop there was a blind couple in attendance who have overcome a heck of a lot and appearances were the least of those challenges.

Briton, if you feel your hair does not look good, or you don’t dress well, or you are not clean, then that image will be projected, especially under the stress of an interview with say a banker. You may be thinking to yourself, “I am young, I have long hair, and this guy is going to be asking me all kinds of questions about my finances, credit, work etc.”

If you believe they will perceive you in a manner that you do not wish to portray, then change. If you are comfortable with your appearance, then know what battles it may create and overcome them. Others have and you will too.

David Alexander for example has, to my knowledge, never worn much more than a pair of paint stained soccer shorts and an old T-shirt to do his deals. His hair for years reached nearly to his waist. Never slowed him for a second because he projects a different persona that overcomes his clothing and hair length.

The decision is yours.

I will leave you with these last thoughts.

We have been taught from early on that discipline is to be respected. We have often viewed discipline to appear in the physical form of a clean cut, trim man who speaks and dresses well.

One does not need to embody this to be successful. It is a prejudice. But if you can work a prejudice in your favor, then you have defeated it.

Tony

Re: Cut my hair? This is a serious post! - Posted by James MC (IL)

Posted by James MC (IL) on June 26, 2003 at 15:31:21:

Cut you hair?? Maybe.

It depends on how it looks and to who?

Bankers want clean cut, however, busness is busness.

If you can produce is what they really look at.

In dealing with buyers and sellers. It is usually best to look O.K., but not like your making any money on the deal.

Sometimes it’s best to look like you need the money.

It is true that first impresions matter.

BUT, there is the golden rule. He who has the gold, makes the rules.

James Mc (IL)

Re: Cut my hair? This is a serious post! - Posted by Paul (TX)

Posted by Paul (TX) on June 26, 2003 at 13:21:19:

You’re in business, so you need to act like a business man. First impressions do count.

However, you have a lot of “drive” and are obviously not afraid to work, so good luck to you.

Live your dreams … and forget about the other advice to “get a job”. With a job, someone else has control over your life and how much you’ll earn. You’ll also need a college education to climb the corporate ladder … and you could still get laid off at some point.

With you in the driving seat, the sky’s the limit.

As far as the girlfriend and cutting your hair … take care of her or you’ll lose her eventually.

Life is all about BALANCE!

Good luck … and keep posting.

Best Regards,
Paul (TX)

Re: Cut my hair? This is a serious post! - Posted by Don-NY

Posted by Don-NY on June 26, 2003 at 11:25:53:

DUDE! It’s your life. Don’t let us antiques tell you how to live it! But 2 years come on! I guess you bathe (for now) after all you have a girlfriend:-()

Re: Cut my hair? This is a serious post! - Posted by ScottS(NC)

Posted by ScottS(NC) on June 26, 2003 at 07:57:12:

Briton,

While I agree that there is some value to making your tenants feel as you are one of them. I would argue that they will be more inclined to ask you to “understand how it is” my car broke down and I just can’t pay you the lot rent this month you are running a business and you want them to understand you must have the rent.

The other point I would like to make is when you deal with banks/bankers they will look at who they are making loans to. A professional appearing young man will ALWAYS have the edge on someone who looks like they just climed out from under a trailer. You may not need banks right now but someday you will. Potray success and it will find you through your hard work! HTH Take Care ScottS(NC)

Re: Cut my hair? This is a serious post! - Posted by Roody

Posted by Roody on June 26, 2003 at 07:47:22:

Lets see a picture and then we can decide if you need a haircut…

Re: Cut my hair? This is a serious post! - Posted by Carlene (Maine)

Posted by Carlene (Maine) on June 26, 2003 at 06:44:58:

Hi,
I just thought I would offer my 2 cents, not that is is probably even worth that much. When I was around 19 I went to Alaska with a friend. It was a long drive and it involved lots of hiking and camping. We arrived and started looking for a job. Before went out to look, we took showers and put on clean clothes. We were hired and the owner of the company said he hired us because we were the only ones who had come in looking like we had taken a shower and put on clean clothes that whole week.
I know you are not looking for a ‘job’ in this MH business, but being more ‘clean looking’ might open a door for someone to give you more information along the way. As much as it isn’t fair, first impressions do matter, IMO.

Good luck,
Carlene

Re: Cut my hair? This is a serious post! - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve on June 26, 2003 at 01:09:51:

Yes cut your hair. And one more thing, when you post please make sure you note that you are only 19. I dont think we have heard that one enough!You mention it in every post.

Anyone doing any Lonnie deals in Maine? - Posted by David Berube

Posted by David Berube on July 12, 2003 at 04:36:54:

I live in Northern Maine and I’m wondering if anyone has been doing any Lonnie Deals in Maine. I’m looking for someone that I can bounce ideas off of and someone that has gone through some of the hurdles in this business. I would really appreciate anyones’ insight in any of this. Oh and before I forget, I’ve bought and read both of Lonnie’s books, and they were wonderful. Thanks David.

Good point… - Posted by Lyal

Posted by Lyal on June 26, 2003 at 07:12:25:

Carlene,
What matters here is OTHER people’s perceptions. There may be some who are more objective and can look deeper than outward appearance but they are in the minority. Better to take a worst case approach and appeal to the widest audience (read customer base) when you’re trying to blaze your own trail in the business world.
All the best, Lyal

Re: Cut my hair? This is a serious post! - Posted by Briton

Posted by Briton on June 26, 2003 at 01:19:55:

I bet i have not even posted 10 times in the last 5 months. “Every post” is not that much. Its not like i am Phillip and say that on every post. haha. Thanks for the advise, Briton (IN)

Hi,I am Philip & I am 39 years old…and… - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on June 26, 2003 at 13:52:24:

Dude!..I have a posting problem…is this the 12 step program?

I am clean cut…but I don’t judge folks by sight, unless someone is absolutely revolting. I am 39 years old.

I have worked with young folks at my church and many of them wore their hair very long a few years ago, doesn’t bother me! They were always clean. I am 39 years old…that is more than twice as old as Briton, who by the way is 19!

Now, more seriously…good hygiene is nice, if you want to wear your hair and maybe appeal to less customers and investors and lenders, that is your choice…it’s a free country!
Just don’t go talk to my banker about a working line of credit with real long hair…he is kinda picky about that! (I am still 39 years old!)
Philip; the 39 Year Old Overposter!

Re: Cut my hair? This is a serious post! - Posted by George Thourogood

Posted by George Thourogood on June 26, 2003 at 02:50:51:

Get a haircut and get a real job, clean your act up and don’t be a slob.