damage in rental - Posted by carmen

Posted by richards realm on October 30, 2005 at 12:52:11:

female photography omarion string bikini playstation 2 cheats nikki cox underoath my humps girls making out tattoo gallery natalee holloway

damage in rental - Posted by carmen

Posted by carmen on October 04, 2005 at 05:37:52:

Can I charge for damaged counter tops if I dont know I will replace right now? The tenent used counters as choping board and burned them all over. I will have to replace at one point but the security deposit isnt going to cover the whole repair and I doubt my tenent will voluntarily cover. She left to another state…and broke the lease leaving 8 months early. I didnt notice until she left and we didnt a formal walk through inspection like we did when she moved in because she was in a big hurry to leave. She probably wont end up owing rent as I believe I will have it rented before her rent runs out.

Re: damage in rental + laminate solution - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on October 04, 2005 at 09:25:51:

I do a pre-move-in walk through, pointing out any existing problems (camera in hand for documentation), & my preferences for cleaning (e.g., no scouring powder on laminate or porcelain fixtures; vinegar & water for washing floors). Then I send the tenant a move-out check-list when I get notice. The check-list itemizes everything I want them to do before they leave, including mowing the lawn & turning off utilities. Then, after the move, when keys are turned in, we do a final walk-though w/a camera. It’s really a de-briefing that can be helpful to me in discovering problems the tenant found, as well as a reality check for them to realize how bad the bare carpet looks because the dog threw up on it. The tenant has a chance to show me all the problems in the unit, so between the two of us I’ve got a complete list for my handyman. I then document everything for my files & for the Security Deposit Itemization I send the tenant a few days later. If there is a refund do him/her, it is enclosed. If there is a negative balance, a bill is attached. The bill doesn’t do much good, except to keep them from bothering me about getting $$$ back. However, because we’ve walked through together, & the tenant has a good understanding about the problems, there is less likely to be a fuss if the refund is small or non-existent. If the tenant fails to do the walk-through, I’ve still got my records.

Depending on the location of damage, laminate counter tops can be inexpensively repaired by cutting out the appropriate size rectangle & replacing it w/a glass insert cutting board (I order through Lowe’s). If installing new counters I always put one in @ the same time to make a place for cutting & hot pans. I even installed one upside-down (smooth side up) in my studio. With the addition of a light bulb & switch below I have a grand custom light box.

Tye

Sailor-good points,- 1 more ? - Posted by ron

Posted by ron on October 05, 2005 at 07:40:44:

Good ideas thanks.But, what is the problem with vinegar and water on floors? and, what is wrong with scouring powder on porcelain fixtures? thanks

Re: damage in rental + laminate solution - Posted by carmen

Posted by carmen on October 05, 2005 at 01:21:13:

Tye, Thank you for sharing the good ideas. This is helpful.

Re: Sailor-good points,- 1 more ? - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on October 05, 2005 at 16:26:05:

Sorry I didn’t make it clear. Vinegar & water is my preferred solution for washing vinyl floors. The problem w/abrasive cleaners on porcelain fixtures is that they are glazed, which is merely a coating of melted glass. Scouring powders abrade the glaze & allow stains to accumulate in the porcelain. I haven’t purchased cleaning solutions in over a decade. I just mix some dishwashing detergent & lemon juice (keep in fridge) w/water in a spray bottle. The acid of the lemon juice makes my solution as antibacterial as any other cleaner & I save lots of $$$ every year. (Note: if concocting your own cleaning solution recipes, be aware that some combinations produce toxic fumes.)

Tye