DC/Northern VA area, how/if to get started there - Posted by Tom

Posted by Alan(MD) on March 04, 2006 at 05:52:53:

We are not going to spell it out for you. That is the whole concept behind an “investment.” Take some risks and figure out these basic things on your own. Thank you.

DC/Northern VA area, how/if to get started there - Posted by Tom

Posted by Tom on March 03, 2006 at 20:53:47:

Is anyone on this board actively working in this region?

This is where I live–I’m sick of the 9-5 job, I’ve read all the books, understand all the finance, but need some help/advice for getting started taking action. I would like to retire (way early) from my first career as a software engineer and get into REI full time, but I am unsure 1) how to find good deals, especially in this area, and 2) whether this area is even worth considering at this point given how incredibly expensive real estate is here.

Any thoughts, advice, first steps, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Re: DC/Northern VA area - Posted by DCDave

Posted by DCDave on March 08, 2006 at 18:35:17:

I’m working this area full-time… You can email me if you have any specific questions.

Good Luck

Dave Gorman
Gorman Property Group, LLC
www.gormanpropertygroup.com

Here’s where you learn - Posted by Downriver Brian

Posted by Downriver Brian on March 05, 2006 at 07:24:21:

Tom,
I just moved to Detroit from the DC area, so I know where you are commin from.
Deals can be challenging to find around you, because everyone is in the game. When the market is “hot” (meaning hot for sellers) everyone wants in because it’s so easy to sell and make a quick buck. However, it then becomes difficult to FIND deals because everyone is looking for them.
A year ago I went to an auction on a row house in Baltimore where they bit it up to $200k when you could pay full price a similar house around the block which was on the MLS for $159k. People do CRAZY things in a hot market, and deals that should be great get eaten up without negotiate buy speculators.
That’s the market you are in.
You need to come up with a marketing plan.

This is the place to figure it out, but like Alan said, you can expect someone here to just spell it out for you.
Why? Because they ALREADY DID!
Use the search archives button and make specific searches…you’ll find your answers if you take the time to look.
I always have.