De-winterize - Posted by Kevin

Posted by . on April 17, 2007 at 01:43:38:

sdfg

De-winterize - Posted by Kevin

Posted by Kevin on April 15, 2007 at 11:32:28:

We’re just getting into the industry and we thank you for your continued knowledge. We recently bought a repo in SC that has been winterized? How do we de-winterize it? From what I gather it has to do with the water, though it’s not on now. I see the “winterize” signs on the water heater, sinks, and toilets.

Thanks,
Kevin

Isn’t that what Global Warming is for? - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on April 15, 2007 at 20:07:58:

Sorry Kevin, bad attempt at humor I am sure.

Glen hit the nail on the head for you. I just wanted to stress again and I mean STRESS, that you make absolutely certain that the breaker is off to the hot water heater when you turn the power on to the house.

It is all too easy to call the electric company and have the power turned on to the house so you can work on it. The company drops buy and kicks on the power for you and since the water is off and if they breaker to the water heater is on you will fry the element which in mobile homes (especially older hot water heaters) is not always fun to change out. It can be done and is not too expensive if you can get to the water heater but it is down time you can avoid.

I always turn off the breaker to the water heater on vacant homes. If I turn off water to my properties for any reason (water break, main line repair etc) I go to each home in the small parks and turn off the breakers to the water heaters. One winter I had a main line break and by the time I got it fixed, 3 water heating elements needed replacing which resulted in 2 water heaters completely being replaced (at over $200 each).

Power off, water off and water on then power on.

Tony

Re: De-winterize - Posted by Glen (OH)

Posted by Glen (OH) on April 15, 2007 at 15:27:33:

Kevin,

Generally all the repo companies do is drain the water heater, blow out the water lines with compressed air and add RV anti-freeze to the sink traps and commodes. I think in the northern area some even pump anti-freeze through all of the water lines, but I?d be surprised to see that in SC.

To put the home back on line make sure the fittings are tight at the water heater and make sure the T/P valve is closed. Turn on the water and bleed the air from all the lines. Only when the water heater is full should you turn it on.

The water meters in the park I deal in are very sensitive. I turn all the faucets off and then watch the meter. If there is any movement of the meter at all, you have a leak. If not your off to the races.

Good luck on your future deals!

Glen (OH)

Re: Isn’t that what Global Warming is for? - Posted by Glen (OH)

Posted by Glen (OH) on April 16, 2007 at 05:52:37:

A lock out device made by Ideal can be used to lock breakers out in the panel. They are available at Lowes, HD ect. They accept a small lock and fit right over the breaker handle to keep them from being energized. Before I have power applied, I always turn off the main breaker at the meter and lock out the main in the panel.

Your’e right Tony. You can’t be to carefull with the elements in the heater. Just trying to replace an element can cascade into many other problems and send your profit margin and your good humor down the toilet.

Look forward to seeing you in August.

Glen (OH)

Re: Isn’t that what Global Warming is for? - Posted by Jeff-oh

Posted by Jeff-oh on April 16, 2007 at 10:32:09:

I had carpet laid in a home and the carpet layers started throwing switches for whatever reason and fried two elements.

The carpet company treated me right by knocking down their price by the cost of parts and labor.

Jeff