Dealer License For IN, & or NY - Posted by t hulse

Posted by th in FL on May 04, 2000 at 08:35:07:

Good idea. I’ll be able to meet some people when I go to the REI group in our area.

Dealer License For IN, & or NY - Posted by t hulse

Posted by t hulse on May 02, 2000 at 12:57:45:

What type of licensing for Lonnie Deals is required in the state of IN & NY. I have family in both of those states, and have access to free air travel. My parents live in IN, my son lives in NY. I was wondering if the licensing laws perhaps weren’t as strict in one of those states, and I could possibly get my feet wet with my first couple of Lonnie Deals somewhere else. Do you think if I did just one here to get my feet wet and see how it went, and then get my MH broker’s license that I would be doing anything iffy?

Re: Dealer License For IN, & or NY - Posted by Ken Baker

Posted by Ken Baker on May 03, 2000 at 22:43:11:

I am in the “doing my homework” mode at present and just called the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles about licensing. In Indiana you only need a dealer license when you sell more than 11 MH’s in a year.

Re: Dealer License For IN, & or NY - Posted by Sheik

Posted by Sheik on May 03, 2000 at 09:38:09:

As far as I know, you do not need any type of licenscin in NY. Just buy the darn things and resell them ;).

Also Mobile Homes prior to 1995 do not have titles - ownership is passed by a Bill of Sale.

Sheik

Not as bad as I thought in FL - Posted by t hulse

Posted by t hulse on May 02, 2000 at 15:53:28:

My Deals on Wheels book came to the house while I was gone to New York for the weekend! Much faster than I thought it would be. Thanks Lonnie! I devoured it Monday, and ordered the second book this morning. I am hesitant and nervous, but excited and wanting to get started.

I know it takes ACTION on my part to get anywhere with anything. I figure the longer I take to get started the less chance I’ll ever get started. Here’s what I’ve done so far. I called the DMV here in Florida and got to talk to a very nice and helpful person. She is meeting me in the morning and giving me the packet of forms to fill out along with a checklist of what all is required, and all the information I need to get my broker’s license. I called the number they gave me and got myself signed up for the dealer school on May 12th, which is a free one day course. My only problem will be with the office space. I have 5 kids left at home in a 4 bedroom home and need all the bedroom space. They require a 10x10 space with seperate entrance for the office. I have a large laundry room lengthwise, but widthwise isn’t long enough. Anyone have any ideas of how to get around this? I also have about the same size screened in porch adjoined to the laundry room by a door. But it is adjoined lengthwise. I’ll have to find out my city’s requirements as far as doing business out of my home tomorrow. I definitely can’t afford to rent office space at this time. Has anyone been able to get around the seperate office thing down here? Any input would be appreciated.

Re: Dealer License For IN, & or NY - Posted by th in FL

Posted by th in FL on May 04, 2000 at 08:29:53:

Thanks, that is great. I wish it were that easy down here! I just got all the paperwork yesterday from the DMV, and it will be a little while before I can get going down here. I am going home to Indiana for a visit soon and will check out the market there.

Re: Dealer License For IN, & or NY - Posted by th in FL

Posted by th in FL on May 04, 2000 at 08:32:15:

It doesn’t get any easier than that! How do you tell though if the person is legal owner of the MH for sure though?

You Are Correct - Posted by Jack-NY

Posted by Jack-NY on May 04, 2000 at 24:40:14:

Yes you are correct, you do not need a license in the state of New York. And no title prior to 1995. A least there is something good about NY…

Re: Not as bad as I thought in FL - Posted by Ernest Tew

Posted by Ernest Tew on May 02, 2000 at 17:29:00:

You might talk to someone else, such as an investor, about sharing some of their space. You don’t need to be there much–just enough to make it official with the DMV.

Or, you might want to place your license with a mobile home sales lot, becoming a salesman. That way, you could meet more prospective buyers, learn from the other dealers, and perhaps pick up a few commissions

Re: Dealer License For IN, & or NY - Posted by Sheik

Posted by Sheik on May 04, 2000 at 09:54:55:

The Bill of Sale tells me that he/she is the owner. Some ID verifying the owner’s identity seals it.

I also run a quick judgement/lien check on the owner making sure that there is no outstanding liens against him/her - costs me $20 - well worth it. That’s the extent of my “title search”.

Sheik

Re: You Are Correct - Posted by Sheik

Posted by Sheik on May 04, 2000 at 10:11:38:

You’re not kidding!! The northeast is the most godawful backward %$#@# area of the country when it comes to creative financing (at least in the Long Island NY area).

Sheik