DEALERS LICENSE TO DO MOBILE HOMES? - Posted by S Ayres(OR)

Posted by Dirk Roach on November 20, 1998 at 17:40:57:

In my above response, what I ment in reguards to investors, was have them be the seller (in name) in some of your sales. Spreads out the dealer issues as far as paperwork is involved.

DEALERS LICENSE TO DO MOBILE HOMES? - Posted by S Ayres(OR)

Posted by S Ayres(OR) on November 18, 1998 at 17:34:30:

Evidently, in the State of Oregon you must have a dealers license similar to a car salesman/dealer in order to legally operate. I am wondering if anyone else is doing mh’s in Oregon and if this is a big hassle. It seems ridiculous, but Oregon considers a mobile home to be a car or vehicle if it is in the park. And so if you sell more than 1 home per year without your name on the title then you are a dealer, and if you have more than 5 homes with your name on the title>you are a dealer.
Anyway any feedback is appreciated.
Scott

Re: DEALERS LICENSE TO DO MOBILE HOMES? - Posted by Bryan

Posted by Bryan on November 23, 1998 at 16:45:25:

You also need a dealer’s license in Louisiana if you sell more than three mobile homes in a twelve-month period for other than resale. You first need a salesman’s license, which requires proof of thirty days of employment with a licensed dealer.

Re: DEALERS LICENSE TO DO MOBILE HOMES? - Posted by S Ayres (OR)

Posted by S Ayres (OR) on November 20, 1998 at 24:00:15:

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I think I will just go ahead and get the license and move on. I really don’t know anyone in my area who is dealing in mh’s to try Dirk’s suggestion. Anyway, someone e-mailed me and told me that the laws in Florida are the same as Oregon. I wonder how Lonnie gets around this, or if he is a dealer?

Re: DEALERS LICENSE TO DO MOBILE HOMES? - Posted by Rod W.

Posted by Rod W. on November 19, 1998 at 11:18:34:

Just checked on this. The requirements are a 15K bond costs between 300 and 600 dollars a license fee of 109 dollars and zoning approval (I know, doesn’t make much sense for an investor). No classes or test or anything. The bond form I believe is called a 370 and is supposed to be available at any Oregon DMV.

Re: DEALERS LICENSE TO DO MOBILE HOMES? - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on November 19, 1998 at 03:33:05:

Scott,
A few of us MH peolpe here in S. CA have been toying with the idea of maybe one out of our informal clique getting a dealer license and the rest of us just putting our deals through him/her for a small token fee. Maybe something like that would work for you.
Just a thought.
Dirk

Re: DEALERS LICENSE TO DO MOBILE HOMES? - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on November 20, 1998 at 11:57:02:

Hi Scott,
Yes Lonnie Scruggs does have a dealers license. I think that ultimately that is what we all are going to have to do. In CA it is a pain, classes, photo’s, fingerprints, and the like. But I think that really it is the way to go. It will be nice not having to be boggged down and focused on this point.
Takes to much focus away from the real issues which can make us money, namely out doing deals.
You had mentioned to me in the Chat room, that you might use some investors in your deals. Let them earn their 18%, a little. :-).
Anyway good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Dirk

Re: DEALERS LICENSE TO DO MOBILE HOMES? - Posted by ceagle

Posted by ceagle on November 19, 1998 at 18:31:17:

That sounds cheap and easy to me – wish it was that way in CA. I’d just pay it and forget about it, one well structured deal will pay that and you won’t have to look over your shoulder all the eime.