deceased owners! - Posted by luke

Posted by Diana on February 25, 2002 at 15:12:01:

I guess this is a lesson on how to be immoral, unethical and illegal…otherwise known as G.R.E.E.D.

deceased owners! - Posted by luke

Posted by luke on February 25, 2002 at 10:53:56:

I dont mean to be morbid, but i recently came across a home whose owners have recently passed away. as recent as 2 months ago.

I checked title, it is clear, no past due taxes. the neighbors say that the owners had no children. the house needs extensive repair but nothing too difficult. How can I tie this one up? The house has not gone to probate yet either, as far as i can tell.

Is there anything i can do? maybe pay the coming year’s property taxes?

Re: deceased owners! - Posted by Clare Z

Posted by Clare Z on February 26, 2002 at 24:02:29:

Ummm, maybe I am missing something, but couldn’t you get a title company and a lawyer to help you untangle the ownership (state, bank, etc) and buy the dang thing legally and cleanly?

Clare

Paying the taxes is not always a good idea… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on February 25, 2002 at 18:29:26:

what your trying to do is called adverse possession. Check the archives, there has been some lively discussion of adverse possession. Every state is different, in CA the period for adverse possession is only 5 years. In Pa. it is 21 years and other states have varying terms up to 30 years.

So you can pay the taxes for (in Pa.) for 20 years and 11 months and still lose the property, and the real owner or heirs are under no obligation to re-imburse you for the taxes paid.

And as discussed before the legal requirements for adverse possession are very exact and precise. For example if anytime during the 21 years the owner gives you permission, the requirement for hostile, adverse possession is totally blown, start all over again, donot pass GO, do not collect $200.

David Krulac

paying the tax…calling Joe Kaiser - Posted by tang-0-rang

Posted by tang-0-rang on February 25, 2002 at 16:23:38:

may not be a bad idea…not to dance on someone’s grave, but obviously they cant pay the taxes and you might be able to foreclose and get the house at only the cost of one year’s taxation and legal fee’s. I am not an expert at tax lien’s nor foreclosures. maybe Joe Kaiser wouldn’t mind stepping in.
JMO
Todd Williamson (CO)
p.s. JJ very un-cool. live and learn buddy