Desirability of 14x60 - Posted by David Milroy

Posted by Chris (TX) on July 02, 2002 at 15:02:36:

I ask because I’m always looking for ways to get into and profit from Mobiles on private land. Parks are few and literally ‘far’ between here in my part of Texas, and the larger parks are run by companies that buy, sell and finance the homes within their parks so it’s hard for an outsider to get into these parks. I’d also be looking at an hour drive one way to keep an eye on my MH’s.

For now I’m just selling homes all cash, and people are happy to get them and move them to their own private land. But eventually, I’d love to do some financing, I’m just not sure how to go about it since it would require purchase and development of land, which is a very costly proposition.

So basically I just wanted to pick your brain Karl, and find out what was working for you if you were doing anything on private land.

Thanks a bunch!
Chris

Desirability of 14x60 - Posted by David Milroy

Posted by David Milroy on July 01, 2002 at 18:29:06:

I have the opportunity to purchase a “like-new” 14x60, 2BR, 1BA for a very reasonable price. I am a little concerned about the dimensions (14x60). I know it has the same space as a 12x70, but what is the public perception of a 14x60. Would I have a much harder time moving such a unit?

Re: Desirability of 14x60 - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on July 02, 2002 at 09:14:23:

Lets assume your ?like new? comment means the home is just several years old. Awhile ago I had a 1996 14X56 2 bed 1 bath. It was in beautiful shape. I got it for a terrific price. But it was for sale forever. I needed a good credit buyer because it was a more expensive home. Everyone that looked at it loved the kitchen and the living room, but the beds and bath were too small. Since then I?ve only bought 3 bedrooms when buying newer homes.

However, if you?re talking about an older home, 70?s or 80?s, I wouldn?t be as concerned. I have good luck with older 14 wide 2/1 homes that I buy cheap and sell on a note. The folks who buy these older homes are typically less credit worthy and are a higher risk. They?re more concerned about getting financed than the number of bedrooms.

Karl Kleiner

Re: Desirability of 14x60 - Posted by Joe C. (AR)

Posted by Joe C. (AR) on July 01, 2002 at 23:41:59:

Ditto to what Doc said. 14 wides bring much better prices in my area than 12 wides even if sq. ftg. is comparable. They are newer and have much better acceptance with PM’s. Often the “older” parks are more able to accomodate a wider/shorter home than one of more length.
Joe C.

IMNSHO 14 wides are more desireable… - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA on July 01, 2002 at 18:55:35:

…than 12 wides of same square footage. They are often newer too. You can often get more square footage of a 14 wide on those old “skinny” lots. They also often have better siding (hardboard rather then aluminum) and nicer peaked roofs with overhang.

Regards, doc

Karl - Posted by Chris (TX)

Posted by Chris (TX) on July 02, 2002 at 11:21:11:

I’m just curious. These homes that you finance, are they all located in MHP’s? Or do you have some on private land, if so, how do you handle that?

Thanks!
Chris

Just the parks, ma’am - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on July 02, 2002 at 12:51:44:

I do deals exclusively in mobile home parks. Why do you ask?

Karl Kleiner