Determining repair cost - Posted by JR(ATL)

Posted by Ken (Fl) on July 23, 2003 at 12:31:03:

Several years ago I had purchased a guide. I don’t know if it was the same publisher though.
It worked well for generic average pricing on new construction, straight forward projects. The hardest part is adapting the guide to the area you are in. The one I used had an average of the country regarding materials and labor. There was a multiplier to compensate for different areas.
The number really wasn’t realistic if there were any oddities or existing construction to work with.
The cost of materials can vary from day to day depending on what and where you buy. The cost of labor is a moving target. The job itself can have hidden implications if you have never done it before.
Use your best judgment when assessing your abilities. Don’t put yourself in a situation where your lack of experience will cost you more than hiring the right experience.

God Bless

Determining repair cost - Posted by JR(ATL)

Posted by JR(ATL) on July 22, 2003 at 21:10:23:

How do I figure repair cost on a property?

Re: Determining repair cost - Posted by Ken (Fl)

Posted by Ken (Fl) on July 23, 2003 at 09:26:54:

If you are not familiar with the construction business (which is apparent from your post) then take a contractor, handyman… (You should already have a good trust in) with you when you view the property.
Have them give you a detailed estimate.

After doing this several times, you get a feel for certain prices for certain jobs, i.e. an interior prehung door removed and replace $150.00.

Even after you get a feel, continue to take this person with you because their eyes are trained to see signs that you may have overlooked. A hole in the wall is easy to see but a slightly off corner that could indicate roof sag is often overlooked.

God Bless

Re: Determining repair cost - Posted by jp

Posted by jp on July 23, 2003 at 12:14:15:

Has anyone used the “Home Repair and Remodel Cost Guide” that is published annually by Marshall & Swift? It is referenced in “Buy it, Fix it, Sell it, Profit!” that I read recently. I’m wondering how useful this reference would actually be.