distressed property - Posted by Rhonda

Posted by T obeykins on June 16, 2002 at 15:07:55:

Dear Ed:
Every state and the Federal Gov’t has laws dealiong with “abandoned” property. Comes from English Common Law which I bellieve is the souorce of tthe Adverse Posession concept. Findlaw will take you to both state and Federal sources for research. I bellieve one of the underlying theories is that it is not in the interest of the community to have abandoned property which could be productive and contributing to general well fare and tax rolls with a current, inolved and tax paying owner. Also, anyone who pays tax liens on delinquent tax property is doing a form of adverse through the tax rolls.

distressed property - Posted by Rhonda

Posted by Rhonda on June 14, 2002 at 22:10:12:

Hey guys
question found 2 distressed properties cannot contact owner or owner is not living out of town not to much work needs to be done on houses, but are eyesores to the community these properties were actually sent by a person that saw one of my flyers how can I acquire these properties any
info would be great

ADVERSE POSESSION - Posted by Tobeykins

Posted by Tobeykins on June 16, 2002 at 02:54:53:

If the property is vacant, check the adverse posession rules in your state for moving in. After 5 years iof “oppen, notoroious and continuous posession” by outsider with no objections from owner, new occupant files for new title transfer under law of Adverse Posession. Also make sincere effort to locate owner to protect yourself from a charge of land theft.
If property is occupied by a tenant, youmight be able to work a sub lease from the tenant (they make a profit from you) and go to Adverse above. If you follow all steps others have suggested and cant find owner, you can occupy it under adverse posession if you have the stomach for this sort of thing.

Re: distressed property - Posted by Dave FL

Posted by Dave FL on June 15, 2002 at 07:24:26:

Where there is a will, there is a way. You obviously have a will.

Have you tried the courthouse? You can find out lien order, who holds the mortgage, tax deliquency information…
Call the utility companies and see if the service is on or to see if they’ll let you know about the owner.
Put an ad in the paper for a few bucks…
Mail a letter to the property. If it gets forwarded, maybe the destination addressee will have info…

Just brainstorming, but it shouldn’t be too hard especially if the owner is not paying taxes or utility bills.

Re: ADVERSE POSESSION - Posted by Lori

Posted by Lori on August 13, 2002 at 21:22:39:

I need to know how to find out adverse posessions laws in NY

Re: Obviously a California post (NT) - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on June 16, 2002 at 09:12:50:


Re: distressed property - Posted by Brian D

Posted by Brian D on June 15, 2002 at 20:23:21:

I’m new to this but according to what I have read so far. You could go to the courthouse and go to the tax liens area and find out who the property owner is. Usually they have the best information or the post office would forward a letter if they have the forwarding address. I also think you can request a forwarding address at the post office for like 3 or 4 dollars. If you can ask neighbors for a name or mailing address also. If you get a name ask a Tracer ( Private investigator who specializing in finding people ) they charge a fee depending on the PI but it can be upto 100 bucks so ask the price first. I have not bought property yet but am studing the courses for my 3rd time so this is all pretty much from the courses I read and not from life expierience. I am sure someone will be better with info than I am.

Re: ADVERSE POSESSION - Posted by rose hayes stewart

Posted by rose hayes stewart on May 16, 2006 at 18:26:00:

Lived on this property for fifty years, some stranger came along to claim it for back taxes. what can I do I have been taking care of this property for fifty years thinking its a part of my decased mothers property.

Re: ADVERSE POSESSION - Posted by Tobeykins

Posted by Tobeykins on August 14, 2002 at 18:34:25:

Go to a good law library and ask the law liobrarian to help you. Most universities with law schools have one. You can also try going to www.findlaw.com, and clicking on New York for State Laws, Cases and Codes. then look for property law - do a search or whatever. You can also call a lawyer and tell him you have a property elsewhere in NY State and you found out someone from California moved in and is claiming adverse posession, and you want to know if it is true or not.