Do I really need a mentor? - Posted by Bryan in Cali

Posted by Bryan in Cali on March 20, 2002 at 10:57:15:

I’m in Sacramento. I can’t seem to find any RE investors here in the north central valley.

Do I really need a mentor? - Posted by Bryan in Cali

Posted by Bryan in Cali on March 19, 2002 at 21:12:32:

I haven’t been able to find a real estate investor club near me and nobody seems to want to recommend any attorneys or title companies or anything so I’ve decided that I just might go it alone. I mean, do I really need a mentor? I’ve got books on real estate and the techniques I want to use, and everybody says I should just go out and do something, so I will. I’d like to hear from others who just jumped in to RE without having a mentor and what they learned from the experience.

Re: Do I really need a mentor? - Posted by Cris(LA)

Posted by Cris(LA) on March 20, 2002 at 10:35:48:

Hi Larry, Bryan and Andy, I am in the South Bay, but intend to work more inland (San Bernardino, Riverside,), where are you guys? Are you going to Atlanta? Please let me know.
Thanks.
Cris

Re: Do I really need a mentor? - Posted by PeterT(MA)

Posted by PeterT(MA) on March 19, 2002 at 21:51:36:

I jumped in without a mentor and if you think going to court to evict tenants, closings with clouded titles, getting sued and other costly mistakes a learning curve… Its one curve that I would have liked to avoided… A Mentor is a huge asset. Learning through their mistakes and networking through their contacts compiled with morale support is an invaluable tool. A mentor and knowledge is a huge foot up in REI. I’m sure if you keep writting on this board you’ll make contacts with seasoned investor from your neck of the woods.
Just my thoughts…

Re: Do I really need a mentor? - Posted by Andy (SC)

Posted by Andy (SC) on March 19, 2002 at 21:40:08:

Bryan,
I actually found my first rehab before I found this web page. I basically found a HUD home, did the comps for the area, estimated (consvertaive)what it would take to fix it up, talked with the neighbors and then bought it. (three weeks late because of sorry attorney). Now I am right in the middle of my first rehab. Looking to 10g+. Not to bad for a months worth of work on the side. This web page has helped me ALOT!!! I think the best way is to do your research and then jump right in. That’s all I can really offer right now, but I hope it helps. Good luck and remember - HAVE FUN!

ANDY (SC)

Re: Do I really need a mentor? - Posted by Larry In CA

Posted by Larry In CA on March 19, 2002 at 21:29:48:

Bryan, this website is all the mentor you need just decide what you want to do and do it. Any problems will be solved when you need them solved by letting everybody know here. By the way, where are you in CA there are alot of folks in CA that post on this site, maybe if you let us know where you are we can help more.