Do you all use Realtors?? - Posted by Caron

Robert, interesting - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on September 21, 2003 at 19:11:15:

how you brought up commission rebate. Lendingtree.com is now in the real estate business. They’re giving away free air miles and promos for leads and sell to brokers for about $40 and get a referral fee when it closes.

No wonder Remax and Cendant are both suing lendingtree for using remax and cendan’s logos on their website.

It’s conceivable that companies such as lendingtree can force realty brands out of biz.

Cheerz,

Great post Doug…really great post Doug… - Posted by Brad N

Posted by Brad N on September 23, 2003 at 20:25:09:

Back in 2001, I repsonded to the post of yours below. You can check out the archives. It is great to see that you still have the same disdain for Realtors that you had when you claimed you didn’t know squat - just two years ago. My guess is that you still don’t know squat, and you probably haven’t done squat in terms of deals.

My advice to newbies is this - there is a ton of great, informative posts on this site from folks who know what they are talking about. Take what everyone says with a healthy grain of salt. Egging on adversarial relationships with anyone is a sign of amateurism.

Good luck to everyone. And congrats to JP for continuing to have a great site. I hadn’t been here in a long while, and with the exception of Doug’s posts, it still looks great.

Thanks,

Brad N
Eastern Pa

As many of the seasoned investors here have no doubt realized, along with anyone who I’ve told the truth to, know. I’m a total fraud, scamp, loser and yes, a$$hole too.

I’ve studied real estate investing for 4 years (give or take) and in all that time I’ve never succeeded in doing even one lousy deal. Well, ok, that’s not entirely true, I did manage to arrange a lease/option agreement between my dad and a guy that owed him money (who happened to have a 3br condo he couldn’t afford.) But I made no money from that deal. Oh, and there was that other house that my dad bought, thanks to my encouragement, but nothing more. In all honesty, I didn’t really have anything to do with it beyond looking at some places with him in that particular town.

What else? OH… all the ‘advice’ I’ve handed out to newbies and experienced alike, has been no more than the best I understood of what OTHER people were doing. I have no real experience, beyond being jeered at by sellers, agents, lawyers and so on.

Ummm, well. I don’t know what else to say, I mean the above pretty much says it all doesn’t it? I’m a liar, I’m full of s***, and you have every right to tell me so to my face.

I’d like to apologize to Steve Cook and Ed Copp in particular, for running RE agents down while the two of you successfully work with them and are one of them, respectively.

I also apologize to all of the newbies for the comments and suggestions I’ve made to MANY of you. You’d probably do well not to listen to any of it.

And I apologize to JP for bringing a mockery to her site. You’ve obviously worked long and hard to develop the premier CREI site on the internet, and you deserve not to have beatniks prancing around your forums.

I’m sorry to everyone for speaking beyond my experience, and lying about who and what I am.

Despite all of this, I’m not going to scurry off into the darkness, and I’m not going to give up, because that would just prove that I’m as worthless as I have acted and I refuse to believe that I can’t change.

Well, ahh, thanks for listening.

Doug

PS: I’d just like to confirm that this really IS Doug Pretorius/Doug (ON). JP can probably authenticate that fact with the IP log

Re: relator, It’s “Realtor”-Jimmy Napier - Posted by Linda Simms

Posted by Linda Simms on September 21, 2003 at 14:39:39:

A slip of the tongue. Jimmy Napier calls them Re-Lay-Tors and he used to be one.

If a person has made 6 or 8 or 10 sensible… - Posted by Sydel - FL

Posted by Sydel - FL on September 21, 2003 at 13:56:20:

…statements, perhaps you could find it in your heart to let one typo pass.

Re: Do you all use Realtors?? - Posted by Jay Compton

Posted by Jay Compton on September 21, 2003 at 22:54:52:

Doug,

I have seen this so many times before. Don’t get me wrong though, not all realtors do this. However, there are so many part-timers out there now, that you just don’t know who to listen to anymore.

So that leaves us to do our own investigating work and buy and sell houses without them.

Glad I could put a grin on your face.

Jay Compton
Birmingham, AL

Re: Do you all use Realtors?? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on September 22, 2003 at 08:31:05:

Most Realtor listings use an electronic lockbox that can only be opened with a computerized key. The lockboxes we use are sold by Supra and issued by the local board of Realtors. These lockboxes are quite advanced and can be programmed like a computer.

Some Realtors do use combo locks, but then anybody can access the properties if they can get ahold of the combo. HUD properties statewide are on a HUD key. All the doors are on the same key. Any broker that is registered with HUD can get this key. It also seems like alot of investors have gotten ahold of the key from somewhere and can get into the HUD properties as well.

I guess Doug’s learned since then. - NTXT - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on September 26, 2003 at 01:03:42:

Re: Some of my best friends are Realtors… - Posted by Jim V

Posted by Jim V on September 24, 2003 at 01:38:39:

…but I understand those who might have difficulty with establishing a working relationship with them.

So, I take it your post wasn’t actually egging on an adversarial relationship from two years ago?

Re: Do you all use Realtors?? - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on September 22, 2003 at 09:04:37:

Sound risky on HUD’s part to use
only one key. How are the keys updated?

Re: Do you all use Realtors?? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on September 22, 2003 at 09:40:02:

I’ve had the same key for years.