Does a new Walmart raise property values? - Posted by Richard

Posted by ski on January 19, 2006 at 18:44:07:

“They” also pay a lot of property taxes, s.s, FUTA, SUTA, Med. And add a lot of cottage businesses. For instance, Their medical benefits will also benefit the local hospitals, doctors, dentists, (their own pharmacy and eye center) But you get the drift. It is very seldom that “they” employ “ILLEGALS”.

Does a new Walmart raise property values? - Posted by Richard

Posted by Richard on January 18, 2006 at 21:23:25:

I own some land in a small town in a southern state.
I just found out that a new Walmart is coming in.
It seems to be a growing town and it is 35 minutes from one of the larger cities in the state so it is growing.
Woud it be wise to buy up more property there since the new Walmart is coming?

Re: Does a new Walmart raise property values? - Posted by HousingBlues

Posted by HousingBlues on January 19, 2006 at 17:22:05:

Mop and Pop stores perish when WalMart moves in.

People who rely upon wages paid by WalMart can’t
afford to live in single family homes, so nobody is moving into the area for the pleasure of working at WalMart. Typically, people travel an hour or two on busses to work there, or live in the parking lot in a VW van.

Invest in multifamily, boarding houses, or RVs.

Do you think it a coincidence that WalMart allows the overnight parking of RVs in their parking lots? Nope, it’s to help their workforce get to work on time.

Re: Does a new Walmart raise property values? - Posted by Labelle

Posted by Labelle on January 18, 2006 at 21:28:02:

Are you in Hendry County Florida? Either way, the short answer is YES!!! Hold on, prices will go much higher.

Re: Does a new Walmart raise property values? - Posted by Dave T

Posted by Dave T on January 21, 2006 at 22:06:40:

You may have a valid reason to rant against Wal-Mart, but that does not really answer the question.

I would suspect that land adjacent to the Wal-Mart site will become more expensive too. I have seen lots of business development next to the three Wal-Marts and a Sam’s Club within 25 miles of my home.

Re: Does a new Walmart raise property values? - Posted by Berno

Posted by Berno on January 20, 2006 at 14:10:02:

Sounds like somebody doesn’t like WalMart. A case of envy? Maybe A case of sour grapes? Perhaps. Here’s a tip: Convince the millions of people who spend their money at WalMart to shop elsewhere and they will just fade away. Until then, WalMart is providing consumers what they want at a price they are willing to pay. Kinda like those of us here with our investment property.

Re: Does a new Walmart raise property values? - Posted by SKI

Posted by SKI on January 19, 2006 at 18:33:33:

Was quite a discussion about the above mentioned subject tonoght. Maybe still going on. Here in sunny swfla was on 1240. Both sides were represented. In the end (when I left the program)it was decided that the BIG GUY was doing the community a service. It is really up to the consumer to decide to shop at the biggie or the mom and pop store. There are no chains binding someone to shop where they do not want to. In the end, nationally, walmart creates a net gain of 50 retail jobs where mom and pop create zer net gain jobs. I am not on "their"side, I am mearly ststing facts. I DO NOT SHOP THERE.

Re: Does a new Walmart raise property values? - Posted by phil

Posted by phil on January 19, 2006 at 09:00:18:

I have purchased properties and land in areas of growth including areas that a new Wal-Mart was built. What I found was interesting. The Properties that were furthest from the Wal-Mart experienced much better appreciation than the ones say within a 2 to 3 mile radius.

Why? I have heard, and it makes sense, that it is because of the type of residence a Wal-Mart / K-Mart etc. attracts and employs. I know in and around the three WM in our area the crime rate is three to four times that of areas 4 or 5 mile away experience. If there is a K-Mart or ShopCo near it’s even worse.

However, when it’s a Dillards, Mayco, Macy’s etc…

And yes I know this won’t sit well with some of the Liberal Folks on this board, but it’s the facts.

Re: Does a new Walmart raise property values? - Posted by dealmaker

Posted by dealmaker on January 19, 2006 at 08:22:23:

Many people suffer from “prior to, therefor causing” reasoning. Just because two things happen in sequence doesn’t mean the FIRST one CAUSED the following one! Wal Mart tend to go where they see GROWTH occuring, as does McDonalds, Wendys, Home Depot, Office Max, Chilis etc.

All of these things happened in our town over the past 6 years, stating with the Super Walmart. Our property values didn’t increase (of course this is TX so they don’t anyway), and now that all the others are here we’re having to spend a lot on infrastucture, traffic lights, widening roads etc so our taxes are going up.

One other problem. Once WalMart is there, you’ll find out that the taxes to support you COUNTY (indigent) health care system will really jump. In most areas their employees are the BIGGEST USER of that system, not the ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS that everyone gripes so much about.

Not just my opinion, it’s backe up by facts.

dealmaker

Sour Grapes? - Posted by HousingBlues

Posted by HousingBlues on January 20, 2006 at 16:47:14:

WalMart offers minimum wage jobs with no chance of advancement for women or blacks. They try to bend every labor law they can. Those they can’t bend they ask their bought and paid for politico friends to change the laws in the favor. Their health care program is shameful… they recommend to their employees to use the emergency room, and go on public assistance. Main street is turning into a ghost town.

All to save a few bucks?

Sour grapes? Envy? Short term benefit at long term cost.

Re: Does a new Walmart raise property values? - Posted by SKI

Posted by SKI on January 19, 2006 at 18:37:37:

Theys be LIBERALS on this board??? never seen o herd none…

Re: Does a new Walmart raise property values? - Posted by Ernie Nevin

Posted by Ernie Nevin on January 19, 2006 at 11:21:37:

All very good points. I seems that a new Walmart in town will have a positve impact on Real Estate prices in outlying areas for the most part but could cause property to level out depending on it’s location relative to the new Walmart. I do buy into the idea that property values increase is as a result of the areas growth which eventually results in the the new Walmart down the street.

Welcome to Capitolism, isn’t it Great? (nt) - Posted by phil

Posted by phil on January 20, 2006 at 22:05:19:

Welcome to Capitolism, isn’t it Great?

Re: Does a new Walmart raise property values? - Posted by Dan

Posted by Dan on January 20, 2006 at 13:48:11:

Are there any English teachers in the house?