Does ANYONE know anything about Prepaidlegal? - Posted by Maurice

Posted by Gary on March 08, 2001 at 11:56:14:

I have been a pre-paid customer since 1995. I have used their services on many occasions. My service has always been exceptional. As the previous poster stated, most of my needs are questions. They return my call quickly and answer my questions satisfactorly.

Does ANYONE know anything about Prepaidlegal? - Posted by Maurice

Posted by Maurice on March 07, 2001 at 08:40:02:

Hello I just wanted to know because someone said it could help me with my RE transactions- Does anyone have any experiences with them, any help is appreciated.

Re: Does ANYONE know anything about Prepaidlegal? - Posted by broncos160

Posted by broncos160 on March 09, 2001 at 10:19:11:

It sounds to me Prepaid Legal is good about performing basic services. Like they me do a small service like make out a will for free. But it is not like health insurance where if you get like $100,000 that you are going to get it fully covered or almost.

So if you had a big law case. I think I heard they may give you like a discount of 25%. But if you are not loaded how significant will a 25% decrease be if you lawsuit is tens of thousands of dollars.

I have a friend who is in this business. If you are thinking of going into the business. YOu also have to bear in mind that you dont get paid on the premiums or renewals until your client is on their 3rd year of payment.

I mean you will get unlimited consulatatios over the phones and basic services for free. But for something a little bit more involved everyone else might be right.

broncos160

The best way to go is… - Posted by ScottE

Posted by ScottE on March 08, 2001 at 24:44:45:

with Bill Bronchick and his 1-on-1 consulting. It does seem a bit pricey, but after being on his service, I can tell you it has proven invaluable.
Bill has quickly walked me through several situations that I had problems with and made the difference between a deal and no deal.
He (Bill himself responds/calls) is very responsive and, of course, knowledgable in all aspects of your deals and entities. Plus, you get a boatload of courses when you sign up!

Scott

Re: Does ANYONE know anything about Prepaidlegal? - Posted by philip Levine

Posted by philip Levine on March 07, 2001 at 12:16:58:

i agree with the other two>>THEY SUCK…stay away, not worth the 14.95…have had more trouble than you could immagine>>

Ask yourself this question… - Posted by J.P. Vaughan

Posted by J.P. Vaughan on March 07, 2001 at 10:47:40:

What kind of attorney would work for these peanuts?

My guess: Someone who can’t get work anywhere else.

Do you want this kind of attorney?

You get what you pay for…

JP Vaughan

Re: Does ANYONE know anything about Prepaidlegal? - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on March 07, 2001 at 09:31:34:

These services are awful. I have used two, and they were both bad. Plus, even if you use different plans, the same attorney names seem to keep popping up again and again, like doctors on hmo’s. My experience with them has been that they were slow to return calls, truculent with their responses when they did, and seemed like they couldn’t get me off the phone fast enough. After all, that’s time they could be billing elsewhere - they’ve already GOT the money from the legal plan.

I have found that these plans are a poor substitute to having a real attorney. When I call my attorney who I pay directly, he seems more than eager to answer all of my questions at $150 an hour. Yes, that costs more than $14.95 a month, but then, it could be saving me tens of thousands of dollars in the long run. Plus, my real attorney will make phone calls and send letters on my behalf - try getting a prepaid legal lawyer to do that. It’s always “well, first you need to call them before I can do anything, etc.” even after the time for civility and negotiation is long passed.

I even had one prepaid-legal lawyer say to me one time, after I had pointedly said that I really wanted him to take x action, whatever it was, I don’t remember, and he said “well I can’t do that because I don’t represent you yet”. I said that he was on the legal plan, and if it was just a matter of formalizing that yes, he represented me, then I would sign whatever paper was needed, etc., and I got some spiel back that basically translated to, those services aren’t covered under the plan, i.e. it’s time to cough up more $$$. BTW, I checked, the services were covered, he just didn’t want to do it.

So anyway, I feel pretty strongly AGAINST these plans. If anyone has the names of some that they found actually useful, I’d love to hear. Maybe I just picked two bad ones, but I doubt it.

Re: Does ANYONE know anything about Prepaidlegal? - Posted by Todd W

Posted by Todd W on March 07, 2001 at 08:44:03:

Yes, I use it. I signed up under the landlord group for $14.95/month. It is invaluable as most of our legal issues amount to questions before we take action. They are professional, prompt and accurate.

Re: Ask yourself this question… - Posted by Nate

Posted by Nate on March 07, 2001 at 12:20:15:

I agree. Think about it…if you think an HMO is a really good way to get health insurance, then you might like Prepaid Legal. It’s the same thing.

NT

Re: Does ANYONE know anything about Prepaidlegal? - Posted by John P S.FL

Posted by John P S.FL on March 09, 2001 at 07:58:49:

Eric,
I have had prepaid legal for about seven months. I had to use it right away on a note that was not being paid. The attorneys ask for all the doc’s for the note. There was a lost fax on the first try, but they performed very well. They wrote a demand letter to the dead beat and corresponded with him to the matter was resolved. I was pleased with there services. Look I don’t think Prepaid Legal will help with all of your legal problems but I think it is great for quick access to an attorney. I do have a RE attorney outside of Prepaid Legal. If you want the name of the service e-mail me and I will give it to you.

John P S. FL
fft@mindspring.com