Does CarltonSheetsProgram work in Southern California? - Posted by chc

Posted by Dirk Roach on August 21, 1999 at 11:08:23:

Hello Victor,
I am in San Diego County and I have been doing RE Investing or a year now. I have been focusing on Mobile Home Investing (aka Lonnie Scruggs Method) and then Playing with the notes (aka Terry Vaughan).
I have done fairly well.
I have not looked for a single end-all course though. I have read and applied the ideas in them succesfully. Heck I have yet to get a job, and I have to tell you it’s pretty nice to be unemployed in the Sunshine of S. CA, and have no worries :-).
But my advice would be that if you are going to successfull (whatever your particular deffinition of that is) in any business, you have to be able to recognize opprotunities and then act on them.
I don’t see any people who just buy some course and blindly follow it verbatium accomplishing much.
Situations change and you have to know how to react etc.
I beleive that a good understanding of finances, investing, etc. Is esential.
Remember Money is only an idea. A perseption and that is all.
Good luck and happy investing
Dirk Roach

Does CarltonSheetsProgram work in Southern California? - Posted by chc

Posted by chc on August 20, 1999 at 04:05:59:

I tried some no-money down techniques from Robert Allen’s book years ago but could not get them to fly with lenders in Southern California. Has anyone had better results with CS? I would even be satisfied with low-money down, as long as I got very good positive cashflow… p.s. I have not bought CS program, should I?

Re: Does CarltonSheetsProgram work in Southern California? - Posted by Jim Pasquini

Posted by Jim Pasquini on December 06, 1999 at 23:45:35:

I bought Carlton Sheets course several years ago after being laid off during the downturn of the aircraft industry here in Southern California. I was just sure that little course was going to make me a real estate tycoon. It didn’t, but I don’t blame good old Carleton. I didn’t really work it, because I guess I never believed I could. I learned a lot from the course, but I think it is more foundational than functional.

If I were to recommend a program to someone, I would probably steer them towards the people at The Wealth Institute up in Rancho Cordova. They teach foreclosure investing. They work the program themselves. They provide support for you after you go through their training to help. They have sources in place for funding, partners and finders fee arrangements. They have a pretty substantial track record both in the Bay area and SoCal. You can find out more about them at http://www.foreclosures.com/.

The other one I would recommend by reputation is Bruce Norris. He is very successful out in the Inland Empire, and is reputed to be an excellent teacher.

There are several courses available through this site as well that are spoken of highly. You might check those out before you decide.

Re: Does CarltonSheetsProgram work in Southern California? - Posted by Victor

Posted by Victor on August 20, 1999 at 18:56:55:

Thanks, chc for asking the question, “Does CS progrom work in Southern Calfornia?”
I too, wondered this question since the SoCal housing market is so competitive; especially Orange County, where I live.
Now to everyone: if you’re reading this and have become successful, would you please tell me which part of the country you are from?

Thanks.

Re: Does CarltonSheetsProgram work in Southern California? - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on August 20, 1999 at 11:06:53:

I bought CS a few years ago and returned it. He is mostly a buy and holder and that is tough in SoCal because of the rent to price ratio. (You can’t rent it for enough to cover your mortgage.) It is a better market for rehab and sandwich leases.
I am curious… You say it would not fly with lenders? What does that mean?? Why were the lenders involved? Most no money techniques involve the seller more than the lender.