Dog Smells and Stains .. How 2 remove? - Posted by JL

Posted by Susan L.–FL on November 22, 1999 at 17:48:09:

nt.

Dog Smells and Stains … How 2 remove? - Posted by JL

Posted by JL on November 21, 1999 at 09:13:42:

Okay …
I have this house I bought cheap …ONLY problem terrific BAD DOG smells on Living room floor and Garage floor (no carpet or pad present)…
How do I remove it … tried bleach,ammonia several times…
Greatful for any suggestions.
JL

amonia and clorine are deadly - Posted by leslie

Posted by leslie on November 26, 1999 at 05:27:41:

i had the same issue. i started by removing all carpet and pad. then i made a mistake. i painted straight bleach on the urin stained particle board floor. the fumes that were produced almost did me in. i mean it hurt me, really. i didn’t count on the fact there is a lot of amonia in the stain. i always knew never to mix amonia and chlorine bleach, wow this was a surprise.

paint the floor.
walmart has the best price on kilz, under $10/gal. paint the floor well, and remove any carpet tack strip that may be affected, tack strip is cheap.

both houses i bought with this problem were easy to buy under market. they were very uneasy about having buyers or realtors come over. they called on my “i buy houses” ad. in one case i paid 20k for a nice 4 bed triple wide moblie worth 2 to 3 times that.

I’ve got a solution! - Posted by Jeff S

Posted by Jeff S on November 22, 1999 at 10:41:09:

I have found, and use a substance called ODERXIT, or ODERCIDE. It is specifically used to eliminate smells from feces, urine, dead critters, mold, mildew, etc. It is great. It is a concentrate,about $40 for a quart, and it will make about 4-5 gallons. I have used it on carpets, floors, it really works. Here’s the catch: it MUST come in physical contact with the offending source,— So if you have a wood floor soaked with years of dog urine, you must equally soak floor with this. But the smell will be gone. On mildewy carpet, I find just a light misting completely freshens a room. permanetly. I dont have the phone # with me at work. If your interested, just email me. nelshk@aol.com

you can’t smell over the phone - Posted by RRSmith

Posted by RRSmith on November 21, 1999 at 18:32:26:

Two weekends ago we went to look at a nice place (SFH with room for expansion) that has owner financed and “fit” well in the 203K owner oc. program.~~~~ Just ONE little thing, the cat urine smell didn’t make it over the phone.

Re: Dog Smells and Stains … How 2 remove? - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on November 21, 1999 at 17:53:08:

Good question!!

Kilz is no doubt the answer. I just wish I’d known about it two months ago.

I bought a property here in Ca. a few months back that had one room’s carpet soaked with rutting guinea pig pee of all things (i.e., so what’s a little filtered celery juice… you might say…Ha!! Smells like the Wombat section of a Tasmanian pet store). First we tried deodorant. That didn’t work. Then we then tried Pinesol. That didn’t work (just made it smell like a boar guinea pig had peed under a pine tree). Then we tried removing the carpet and drying it out. That didn’t work. We then replaced the carpet with new carpet. That didn’t work either, as the smell was mostly in the wood. Next we removed and replaced the moulding. Still stinky. We then sawed out a six foot section of the floor and repaced it along with new moulding.

We are now in the process of having the house lifted off the foundation while we have all the dirt dug out from underneath it and re-filled to a depth of ten feet(The engineers say we might have to go to twenty if the odor doesn’t diminish soon).

J.L., get some Kilz, disk sand the floor and replace the carpet and the moulding…avoid the hassle (two or three coats is best).

Bill

Re: Dog Smells and Stains … How 2 remove? - Posted by Jim Pasquini

Posted by Jim Pasquini on November 21, 1999 at 16:50:16:

Found this site…you may want to check it out.

http://www.justrite.com/index.html

Also, since you say there is no carpet or pad, what floor material do you need to remove this odor from? Is it concrete, wood, something else? You amy be able to clean it with Simple Green or one of the citrus based cleaners. Another idea is to try white vinegar. It may not be the most pleasant smell itself for a while, but it will neutralize the ammonia compounds that cause the odors. No guarantees that any of these will work, but they aren’t expensive and worth a try.

Re: Dog Smells and Stains … How 2 remove? - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on November 21, 1999 at 11:43:18:

JL,
I have several cats myself, and this is a problem I have dealt with for years.
When we re-carpeted the house a couple of years ago, after removing the old carpet and padding, we scrubbed the floor with bleach solution, and let it dry.
Next, we painted the floor with oil based KILZ primer. I put on two coats.
We also removed all the base boards, (trim), because when cats do go on a “spraying spree” they aim for walls.
I also painted the bottom of the walls with KILZ just to cover that in case the smell was there.

This should work for you, and it is cheap.

To totally eliminate the smell you may also try one of those “Alpine” air filter machines. I have one, and we use it to get rid of odors and mildew/moisture.
It cost me $300 and was worth every penny.
Not sure “how” it works, just know that it does.
We have used this machine to eliminate smoke smell, mildew and mold as well as many other not so good smelling things.
You can probably find this type of machine on the web thru a search engine.
Good luck to you,
Jim IL

Re: Dog Smells and Stains … How 2 remove? - Posted by JVC

Posted by JVC on November 21, 1999 at 10:51:31:

JL,

Get a couple gallons of a shellac based primer (i.e., KILZ, B.I.N. are a couple I know of) and roll a few coats of that on. I once bought a house that had been owned by a lady that bred cats, up to 65 in the house at one time!! Talk about a stench…People told me I was nuts for buying it, but I couldn’t pass up the view…Anyway, KILZ did the trick…(although it did take more than a couple coats)…

Good Luck,

Jay