Doing A Title Search On Your Own - Posted by JoeSoCal

Posted by John (LV) on July 23, 2003 at 10:31:36:

When I research a property I?ll check online with the assessor?s office for the owner?s name, parcel number and legal descript etc, then check to make sure the property taxes are current.

The next thing I?ll do is check online at the recorder?s office for deeds, trust deeds, liens and judgments etc. I want to check at least as far back to when the last title insurance policy was issued.

If there is a document I need and I can’t get online, I’ll pick it up at the recorder’s office the following day.

And of course I’ll check the comps.

Best of luck

John (LV)

Doing A Title Search On Your Own - Posted by JoeSoCal

Posted by JoeSoCal on July 23, 2003 at 03:05:17:

Hello

I just went through several hours of archives and didn’t see a concern of mine specifically addressed. I saw bits and pieces and I am hoping someone could elaborate.

At this time, it just isnt economically feasible for me to do a title search on every property I have an interest in. Hell, to be honest, even if it were, I wouldnt want to shell out the money.

I am not necessarily looking to become a pro, but I would like to acquire the experience to do a title search on my own so that I could be very comfortable knowing that I pretty much caught any possible obstacle or “uh oh” situation.

Would any of you mind providing a detailed and extremely specific checklist? I am looking for a literal step by step, if possible. I want to get a good idea of the mindframe and the logical steps one should take.

For example, because I have found “Situation A” it is important to lookout for such and such problem area, etc. I realize that there are always going to be those extremely rare situations that is bound to pop up and bite ya in the butt…but I am more concerned about being able to correctly understand and know what I SHOULD be looking for/things that will come up on a regular basis.

Thanks for any guidance. It is very appreciated.

Re: Doing A Title Search On Your Own - Posted by Jeremy

Posted by Jeremy on July 23, 2003 at 13:36:32:

About the title search…
I have a good friend that is an abstractor for a title company (meaning he pulls title work all day long). I am sure he wouldn’t mind giving you a detailed lowdown od what he looks for. Tell him Jeremy gave you his email. It is cmb3berghegers@aol.com. Best of luck