Domain name reg. - Posted by Sheik

Posted by TRandle on January 25, 2000 at 22:38:17:

Laure,
This if off the subject, but I have a couple of questions for you if you don’t mind. I checked out your site (looks pretty good). The first question is whether or not you had as many hits in the second week. My real question is who or what methodology you used to register with the search engines and how are you advertising the site? I signed up at Bizland.com and they have a service that registers with 9 search engines. The instructions state that it will take weeks before my pages are indexed. I’m guessing there’s a better way to do this, and preferably for free. Thanks in advance for any suggestions…

Domain name reg. - Posted by Sheik

Posted by Sheik on January 24, 2000 at 15:25:32:

Someone had posted a while ago about paying less
than the usual $70 for a domain name registration.

Does anyone recall this or am I halucinating again?

Sheik

http://www.registerfree.com - Posted by Terrance Hamel

Posted by Terrance Hamel on January 28, 2000 at 02:48:41:

2000/01/15: domain name registration, hosting, and parking for domain names up to 63 characters, all for $19.95 per name with reserves from 1 to 10 years.

Internic registrations - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on January 24, 2000 at 21:09:05:

The way understand it, a company called “Internic” ( http://internicregistrations.com/allservices.htm ) bought a government licensed monopoly on internet registrations for a period of 5(?) years. They are the final librarian of all internet names, any other company that claims to register you domain name is just a middle man that is tacking on an additional service fee. The standard fee for a typical (.com) two year registration has been $70 and is expected to continue to be $70. However, it now appears that there is a one year registration option available for only $35. I just registered a name 2 weeks ago and the one year option was not available then, go figure.

http://internicregistrations.com/allservices.htm

Re: Domain name reg. - Posted by Bo (GA)

Posted by Bo (GA) on January 24, 2000 at 20:31:40:

I got mine at yournamefree.com for $60.

Actually not. - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on January 24, 2000 at 20:17:01:

They just loosened it up, broke up the monopoly or whatever. There are many that can license domain names now and people are signing up for “re-seller” type accounts. They can then price it as they want and some are going much below the $70.

Re: Domain name reg. - Posted by Mark R in KCMO

Posted by Mark R in KCMO on January 24, 2000 at 19:10:49:

Sheik,

You are not the only one confused… there are several companies offering “Set up your domain for $XX.XX” However when you read the fine print this is thier domain name Hosting free… not the registration fee…

http://www.icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html

Is the list of registrars…

Hope this Helps

Mark R in KCMO

Re: Domain name reg. - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on January 24, 2000 at 19:04:03:

That is to register in the United Kingdom. the suffix is not “.com” like we are used to.

Laure:-)

Re: Domain name reg. - Posted by seesaw

Posted by seesaw on January 24, 2000 at 15:41:56:

$50.00 per name at quickdomains.com

Re: Domain name reg. - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on January 24, 2000 at 20:40:45:

Mark is correct. It is best to go through that list. Unfortunately, most of them don’t give much of a discount. Some of the things I do involve the web and multiple domains. I recommend bulkregister.com . You can get domains real cheap. The downside is you have to pay $79 fee to get those cheap prices. But if you plan on registering around half-dozen domains, it is worth it.

Since I got tired of paying $70/domain (it adds up after while), I just set my own account up and I can scoop up all the domains I want. (I do it for my friends occasionally, too.)

You can call it investing in Internet Real Estate and Internet Property! :wink: