Don't want to fall in the same Rut!!! - Posted by Jason Turner

Posted by Jason on February 28, 2000 at 13:38:38:

Thanks for the reply. I guess I knew the answer, I just needed to be reassured. Thanks…

Don’t want to fall in the same Rut!!! - Posted by Jason Turner

Posted by Jason Turner on February 28, 2000 at 10:12:05:

Hi all,
I live in a medium size college with about 50,000 people. Being a college town, there is a lot of rental property. But what I have noticed is that most of it is owned by people that are either retired or people that do not seem to treat it as a business. Most of the people that own the larger apartment complexes do their own managing and yard work and so on. I guess what I am saying is that they really do not treat it as a business, but as something they do on the side. And most of the property owners who I have talked to always act like they hate what they do. What I am afraid of is, I will fall into this same rut. Is there anything I could do to avoid this? Thanks in advance…

Jason Turner

Re: Don’t want to fall in the same Rut!!! - Posted by Steve-Atl

Posted by Steve-Atl on February 28, 2000 at 16:48:28:

Jason:

There is a person named Steve Laube that has a book titled “Dormitory Dollars”. I believe its geared toward the owning of rental property for college students.

You can probably find him or his book through Georgia Real Estate Investors Association in Atlanta.

May be worthwhile in your town. Good Luck!

Re: Don’t want to fall in the same Rut!!! - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on February 28, 2000 at 13:17:24:

Jason,

I think you have answered your own question. You have discovered that most of the local rental property owners are tired landlords, whether they recognize it or not, and to them, it’s NOT a business…it’s a JOB.

Will you fall into the same rut? Only you can answer that. If you don’t want a job, then don’t treat it like one. As an investor, your time can be used much more profitably than doing yard work and collecting rents. Those are things you either train your residents to do, or you pay someone to do them.

Being in a college town, you certainly have unique opportunities available to you that many of us would be glad to have; just be careful YOU don’t become a tired landlord yourself.

Brian (NY)