door knocking a pre-foreclosure - Posted by Helene

Posted by Helene on July 29, 2007 at 15:16:02:

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I’ve been studying Dwan’s system. All of your practical information is priceless and thank you for giving of yourselves. So many people in this buisness don’t know or want to share anything.

It’s sincerely appreciated… and it will come back to you.

door knocking a pre-foreclosure - Posted by Helene

Posted by Helene on July 29, 2007 at 12:31:33:

I’ve never had a problem knocking on doors when I was selling and canvasing neighborhoods for listings. Fast forward two years and am in the process of learning to do short sales.
I have a list in front of me and to my thinking, the easiest thing would be to just go ring the door bell and see what’s up.

Somehow, I don’t think the reception would be good.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

They can’t shoot me!

Well, they could shoot you… - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on July 29, 2007 at 12:48:25:

But most won’t. Most will just tell you “that they have it taken care of”. In which case I say, “Great, glad you have found a solution to the problem.”

Pause, and then mention that it seems that lots of folks seem to find solutions to these type of problems, and some of them work out, while other solutions fall thru at the very worst possible time… right before the sale action takes place. So what I like to do is to offer them a “fall-back” position… no cost, no obligation. Then simply ask them, “does it make any sense to have a fall-back position…?” If they say, well yeah, then they are agreeing to listen to what you have to say… If they say NO, then they probably are contemplating a different solution, such as head in the sand, or BK filing…

Be prepared to tell stories… not bedtime stories, but stories of how you helped so-in-so, over on 8th St, who had a very similar problem as theirs. Briefly state what you were able to do for them, and the outcome… (they were able to keep their home… sell and walk away with 10K in their pocket, etc.)

This will separate you from the majority of people who show up and ask them if they want to sell their house…? I usually take as gospel that if I show up and their isn’t a sign in the yard, they usually don’t WANT to sell… They may ultimately have to sell, but they don’t want to sell. You might just be their answer, if you can get a little face time with them, long enough where they learn to like or trust you…

It is not much more complicate than that… you will certainly have a few folks who are gruff and not happy that you stopped by, but just respect the situation that they are in… when you walk away, that negative is over… and you say, NEXT.

JT-IN