Drive to Cali?? - Posted by Matt

Posted by ScottS(NC) on July 11, 2002 at 07:26:43:

Matt,

In my experience the homes themselves are valued close to the same all over the nation. The diffrence is in the value of the lot your on. A mobiles worth is totaly dependent on the area’s rental pricing the value of the Single Family homes in that area, the school district, ect… Most of the time its not hard to find a nice cheap home that needs to be moved. the real challenge is finding a nice lot to move the home to. I believe this is even more true in CA where SFH’s are so outrageously priced it only makes the mobile that much more valuable. But the real demand isn’t mobile homes its land to live on. You could probably set-up RV’s near the beach somewhere and sell them for triple what I sell a doublwide for here. But if you bring that RV here it becomes worth MUCH less because the land it was on was the true feature in demand. HTH Take Care ScottS(NC)

Drive to Cali?? - Posted by Matt

Posted by Matt on July 10, 2002 at 19:56:59:

I appreciate this site and all of the great posts. I have a quick question-

Since it seems that there can be large discrepancies in the fair market value of mhs from state to state-would it make sense to buy homes in inexpensive places and relocate them to pricier areas?? Thanks for any insight–Matt

Re: Drive to Cali?? - Posted by Bob P.(AZ)

Posted by Bob P.(AZ) on July 11, 2002 at 11:36:37:

Well, someone is doing just that in the Las Vegas and Phoenix Markets and upsetting a lot of Park Managers. The culprit is buying the newer repos from the Greenpoints, Conseco’s, etc. at a higher price than us locals will pay and pulling them out of the Parks and moving them to California. So it does happen. It’s all about supply and demand. We’ve got to many repos here so the price went down to where it makes “economic sense” for someone to come in and buy these Mobiles at low enough prices to make a profit even after moving them 350-400 miles.

Good buying,

Bob