DW Rental Rehab: Paint the walls? - Posted by Jered (WA)

Posted by nihad on June 04, 2006 at 08:19:22:

kilz åäÇß ÊÍÐíÑ Úáì ÇÍÏì ãäÊÌÇÊ
Çä åÐÇ ÇáãäÊÌ íÍÊæí Úáì ãæÇÏ ãÓÈÈå ááÓÑØÇä æÇãÑÇÖ ÇÎÑì æåÐå ÇáãæÇÏ ãÚÑæÝå áÏì ÇáÌåÇÊ Ýí ßáÝæÑäíÇ æÓÄÇáí åá åÐå ÇáãæÇÏ ÝÇÚáå ÈÚÏ Ïåä ÇáÓØÍ ÇáãÑÇÏ Ïåäå ÈãäÊÌ kilz

DW Rental Rehab: Paint the walls? - Posted by Jered (WA)

Posted by Jered (WA) on April 30, 2006 at 22:24:14:

Just picked up DW on land that needs work. It is dirty & stinky.

Gutted it. Putting used carpet in bedrooms, new vinyl in baths, and laminate in living room + kitchen.

Put Kilz on the floor and it still stinks. Considering painting the walls + ceiling with Kilz. Should make the room “pop” and provide nice contrast with new flooring.

1. Would you paint the walls?
  2. If so, do you waste time masking off the trim? Or just paint it all Kilz white?

Thanks for the advice…

Jered(WA)

Re: DW Rental Rehab: Paint the walls? - Posted by Jordan (MI)

Posted by Jordan (MI) on May 02, 2006 at 09:15:43:

I just finished Kilz’ing my first MH. It took longer then I thought it would, but it looks nice.

I masked some areas that made sense, but for the most part I painted the trim.

A few problems I encountered… A lot more blemisheses show up with white… especially seams inbetween the panels… It wouldn’t have been to much trouble to fill these when I was patching the other holes.

I didn’t fill the grooves in the panels, and this looks fine.

I did pull back the carpet to keep paint from getting on it. One lady who couldn’t wait for me to get done to see it said “thank you” for pulling back the carpet.

For me it’s been taking two coats to cover paneling with Kilz… I bought the 5 gallon bucket which has worked out well, but it doesn’t look like there will be enough.

In hindsight what I should have done was buy cheap semi-gloss for the second coat… but honestly the primer looks pretty good… right now :slight_smile: (Don’t touch!) It definatly made this room that had two different colors of paneling (light/dark) look much much better.

Just my experiences so far… (I’m a newbie!)

-Jordan

Re: DW Rental Rehab: Paint the walls? - Posted by Daphne Lowe

Posted by Daphne Lowe on May 01, 2006 at 21:46:09:

First things first- deal with the smell. Are you sure the smell is coming from the ceiling or walls? A lot of smell can emanate from the floor ducts. We’ve found that vacuuming these out using a shop vac with a long attachment can work wonders. If the smell is coming from the floor, there’s probably a corresponding stain. A second coat of Kilz may do the trick (particle board floors really soak up liquids), or cutting out the offending section may be necessary. Lastly, you might want to crawl underneath and make sure there’s nothing dead. I wouldn’t lay down any flooring until the offending odor has been eliminated (verified by closing all the windows for a day and checking if the smell returns).

If the trim is nice looking and in good condition, I don’t paint over it. I always paint/Kilz the ceiling white and use color on the walls, as that’s the rage right now. Its fashionable, and it doesn’t add much to cost. We’ve even been known to mimic wainscoting using paint. However, I’m not selling $6,000 homes. It really depends on what folks’ expectations are in your market for the price range of your L/H package.

Daphne

Re: DW Rental Rehab: Paint the walls? - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on April 30, 2006 at 22:36:09:

In the interest of time and ease of painting, I go with all white for ceiling and walls. Kilz the whole thing.

Tony

Re: DW Rental Rehab: Paint the walls? - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on May 02, 2006 at 20:17:53:

Are we talking latex or oil based kilz?

Re: DW Rental Rehab: Paint the walls? - Posted by Dr. B.

Posted by Dr. B. on May 01, 2006 at 08:18:58:

I agree. I also find it waaaay easier to caulk the big cracks between the trim and the walls/ceiling then paint everything white.

One trick is to cut the vertical trim that runs up from the doors and windows to the ceiling (if you have them) and caulk the seam. This frames out the door or window to look more like a normal house.

Happy Trail(er)s,
Steve

Re: DW Rental Rehab: Paint the walls? - Posted by Jordan (MI)

Posted by Jordan (MI) on May 02, 2006 at 20:32:49:

I used the oil based stuff. shrug… looks good! I’m just thinking that it might mark up real easy without a coat of paint over it… but I’m running out of time and money…

The oil based stuff definatly “seals” any odors that may be in the home… it’s more difficult to clean up… I just went with throw away brushes, tray liners, etc… and I masked things I didn’t want painted.

I saw the latex Kilz… but I didn’t think it would stick as well to the paneling… I’m no painter, but I didn’t want to risk it…

This is my first home… so I thought that I would use it as an experiment… so far so good!

-Jordan

kilz n all - Posted by Dr. B (OH)

Posted by Dr. B (OH) on May 02, 2006 at 22:09:22:

Jordan,

Next time don’t bother with the second coat of Kilz. I painted a greasy 32 year old original paneled trailer with one coat of Kilz and 1-2 coats of latex flat. Even though the oil-based Kilz doesn’t look like it “covers,” it seals the wall ready for topcoat.

Two weeks ago we hired painters (for a house we’re doing) and they used a LATEX Sherwin-Williams primer over mold and grime with no bleedthrough! I’ve got to get the name of that stuff.

Happy Trail(er)s,
Steve

Forgot to mention… - Posted by Jordan (MI)

Posted by Jordan (MI) on May 02, 2006 at 20:36:43:

Oh yeah, I wiped everything down with paint thinner (cheap stripper) before painting to get any oil off of the walls… and I did not sand any of it…

I also got rubber gloves…

-Jordan

Re: kilz n all - Posted by Jordan (MI)

Posted by Jordan (MI) on May 03, 2006 at 08:47:01:

Wow… no bleed through? Cool.

Thanks for the tips!

Have a great day.
-Jordan