Electric box updating - Posted by Eddie-MI

Posted by Tony Colella on April 25, 2006 at 20:23:19:

Eddie, much depends upon what updating needs to be done. I know that doesn’t help much, sorry.

For example. In my park, some of the older homes only have 100 amp service at the pole, others have the 200 amp I need (at the pole). However, even the ones with the 200 amp at the pole sometimes need updating.

The home I moved in this month: 200 amp at the pole however the wiring from the exterior panel to the home was jack legged in so that had to be updated. The meter box had been jack legged in (even a novice could see the issues with this one) so that had to be updated. The wire from the meter to the weatherhead may also have been replace (have to see the bill when it arrives).

The home had a grounded neutral that took forever to find (add couple hours to the bid).

The distance to from the new box to the interior panel will also cost more.

If the exterior panel is only 100 amp, add more to the costs.


Electric box updating - Posted by Eddie-MI

Posted by Eddie-MI on April 25, 2006 at 19:53:57:

I have an older MH Park and am trucking in several units right now and setting them up. I am not knowledgable with electric at all.

From the park owners point of view- what exactly needs to be done to the outside box in order to accomodate newer units. Right now we have “pigtail” plugs. I plan on having a couple electric companies give me a bid- and dont want to be totally clueless. What is the going rate for an update in your area?

Re: Electric box updating - Posted by RickeD_Ga.

Posted by RickeD_Ga. on April 26, 2006 at 17:33:39:

Check with your lacal code enforcement to see what there requirements are, around here any home brought in must be brought up to code which is 200 amp service, which is really helpfull when you want to convert from any gas appliances/heat/waterheaters,etc… to electric which i do offten (I dont like gas stoves) most older homes original pannel box want suport these add ins.

Iv done this myself and iv hired it out paying anywhere from $400 to $1200 depending on what all had to be replaced disco box /weather head /pole wire.
Im doing several know myself ,and the feed wire has really got expencive, im doing one know that needs 100 ft of wire , went to lowes and it was $3.23 a ft ouch!!! havent bought any in about a year , i like to had to go to the bank and take out a loan, LOL


Re: Electric box updating - Posted by Joe C. (AR)

Posted by Joe C. (AR) on April 25, 2006 at 23:35:54:

Tony’s right about variables, and preferences also contribute. For many homes 100 amp service is sufficient, if they are other than electric heat. Electric heat homes typically require 200 amps. The higher the service requirement, the higher the component and labor cost. You may decide that even though a home only requires 100 amps, you want to provide the 200 amp service to have adequate service for future needs (like a different home). If your services are pole mounted, this may be the right time to put a new pole in, another added cost.

I have 2 parks with differing situations. The first are pole mounted, most were originally 100 amp. Most were installed in the 50’s when the park was built.

Years of experience here has taught me that when a home is replaced, an original service and an original pole should also be replaced. The original stuff has usually deteriorated to a point where continued servicability is limited. It’s much easier and cheaper to install new equipment when the home is replaced than to try and do it when a tenant is depending on it and continued use is no longer possible. In some cases I’ve had to deal with this situation with a tenat in place, and it’s always a hassle.

I usually size the service for the replacement home requirement. If it only requires 100 amp, I only install 100 amp (if 200, then I install 200). For me, homes generally stay 7 years or more, so if 200 amp is required later, I’ll install it then. That’s just me. I would rather know that the service is new again. I take the 100 amp service, replace critical components, and use it the next time I need one. Having said that, going all 200 amp off the bat is a little more expensive, but kind of standardizes evrything. Poles cost me $40-$60 today. Components for 100 amp service about $150, for 200 amp about $250. Cost of runs from the service entrance to the home vary by distance and capacity. Labor is extra and ballparks at about 2x component cost. For instance, a 100 amp service, installed, costs me about $450 ($150 components, $300 labor). a 200 amp about $750. I install the poles myself (dig a hole, inset pole, 2 bags “quick-crete”). No license required.

The other park has a newer, underground wiring system, all 200 amp. When entrance equipment fails, again about $700 installed.

I hope this helps.
Joe C. (AR)