Elevation Certificate (re: property surveys) - Posted by SusanL

Posted by JoeB(Atlanta) on January 28, 2000 at 21:25:55:

Hi Susan, elevation/topo study is NOT done by surveyor even when you’re in a flood plain since it’s lots more time and money, unless requested by you.

You may simply be near a tiny drainage creek/ditch (that was the case w/several lots we were looking at) or stream that has been re-routed by the nearby builders or now handles more run-off due to nearby new construction and voila! you are suddenly in a flood plain.

Hopefully your insurance will be inexpensive, and it shouldn’t effect future saleability.

Good Luck,
Joe Brillante

Elevation Certificate (re: property surveys) - Posted by SusanL

Posted by SusanL on January 28, 2000 at 11:24:52:

Is an ‘elevation cert.’ done as a ‘matter of course’ when a property is surveyed…or ONLY if the property is in a flood zone? (or–only if the buyer requests it??)

inquiring minds want to know…

My original survey (5 years ago) indicated that I wasn’t in a flood zone.

Current flood maps at our Plats & Maps Dept. indicate that I am now in a flood zone. (The ONLY area NOT in a flood zone on the map is a small portion of my pasture fenceline. Doesn’t do me a heck of a lot of good…)

I explained and I am MILES from any major body of water but the map dept. people told me that any time new development takes place (i.e., new roads/schools/sewer systems, etc.), they take that all into account.

I was told that flood insurance could range anywhere from $350 - $3,000/year (!!!) for my particular needs.

Always a challenge some where, isn’t there???