Eliminating Odors - Posted by Robert

Posted by Jim(WA) on February 04, 2002 at 21:09:37:

Robert,
I bought a house a few years ago and the sellers must have had a dog with a really bad problem, the house stank to high heaven from pee-spots all over the floor including one spot that we called “Ground-Zero”. We tried every product on the market including a well-advertized urine-odor remover and Kilz. Nothing removed the odor except my Skill Saw. After trying for a month to get the smell out I had to remove part of the the floor down to the sub-flooring, then clean and seal the subflooring. I found that the doggy-pee had soaked through the carpet, between the cracks in the boards all the way down to the sub-floor. However, we got the stink out of all of the dog’s other favorite poddy-spots. We cleaned them with regular houshold cleaners then sealed it over with Kilz. The moral of the story I guess is that if it is REALLY bad you may have to simply remove the offending materials.

Good luck,

Jim

Eliminating Odors - Posted by Robert

Posted by Robert on February 04, 2002 at 13:24:17:

I’ve began looking at properties to Rehab. Some of these homes I want to place offers on and they have some very offensive pet and other strong odors. One of the houses I looked at over the weekend was a bank REO, and the previous owners must have kept a kennel inside as well as outside of the home. I thought painting would be a good solution but that doesn’t always take care of the smells in older houses. Has anyone had any success in eliminating these odors and what would you reccomened?

bdexec

Re: Eliminating Odors - Posted by jack zeigler

Posted by jack zeigler on February 04, 2002 at 20:42:56:

Try OdorXit it works very well.

Re: Eliminating Odors - Posted by Randy, OH

Posted by Randy, OH on February 04, 2002 at 13:55:03:

Robert,
I had a similar situation and I used a cat odor remover (spray) and Kilz paint. I think the Kilz paint did the most good. Try doing a Google search for "pet odor."
Randy