Escheated Property - Posted by Tom NJ

Posted by John Merchant on March 20, 2006 at 13:31:26:

My state of WA has an office that exists for the purpose of returning money to its lost owners.

Maybe NJ has one too? It’d sure be a place to start.

Escheated Property - Posted by Tom NJ

Posted by Tom NJ on March 20, 2006 at 11:48:49:

This is going to be a little long winded - sorry.

Anyway, in the 1940’s the Federal Government condemned 13,000 acres of land for a military base in NJ. My grandmother had a small interest in that land. She signed all of the necessary paperwork to convey her rights to the Fed - this was 1941. She and her husband moved around during the next 10 years as he was first training pilots for the airforce and then test flying planes for the airforce. The years rolled on and the money they were to have gotten had been forgotten about until sometime in the late 50’s. Her husband died and she didn’t know how to go about claiming the money - she just kept getting the run around.

Anyway, I have located at the regional National Archives how much she was to be paid and the number of the check that was given to the state treasury department (escheated) in 1954. It is my understanding that she still has a right to this money, but I don’t know how I open a claim for the funds and how to calculate what it is worth today - although, I did take the average of both the DJIA and the 30 year T-bill for the past 62 years.

Any advice?

Re: Escheated Property - Posted by Bob Smith

Posted by Bob Smith on March 20, 2006 at 21:29:56:

It is unlikely any interest would be paid on your claim.

Department of the Treasury
Unclaimed Property
P.O. Box 214
Trenton, NJ 08695-0214

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/index.html?updiscl.htm~mainFrame