Evaluating a private golf course - Posted by BillW

Posted by Anthony - OH on March 23, 2001 at 23:43:21:

near my house, 9 holes in 1970’s started out as a family get together course on some farmland.

Kid went to college and got a degree in course management.

Its 54 holes now, it is still family run, but is now a big money maker.

Evaluating a private golf course - Posted by BillW

Posted by BillW on March 22, 2001 at 18:20:46:

Greetings,
I’ve run into a new situation, and am not sure how to approach. I’ve located an individual (golf fanatic) who is selling and moving. Willing to deal. This person has constructed on their property (edge of the city) a private 9 hole golf course for his and his friends private entertainment. This is an informal course, (not a top notch pro course) used just by owner and his buddies. Longest hole is 310 yards, shortest is 70 yards. I have no idea on how to evaluate the potential value of this little gem. I know what the bare land would be worth, but do you think the golf course aspect of this has any value?
BillW.

Re: Evaluating a private golf course - Posted by NJDave

Posted by NJDave on March 23, 2001 at 11:07:17:

My development partner has experience in golf courses. His forte is transforming underperforming facilities into producers, and creating auxiliary development. The first thing he would want to see would be an aerial view of the property, or at least a tax map showing proximity to local and major roadways. He would check out demographics, and investigate permitted/pending/ongoing development projects within 5 to 10 miles from the Course.

Sounds like you may have found a sow’s ear. E-mail me privately if you want to speak with him.

Re: Evaluating a private golf course - Posted by Nate

Posted by Nate on March 22, 2001 at 20:19:09:

Hmmm…

Maybe you could lease it out for private golf lessons, or for corporate golf retreats or something??

I wonder if it is even allowed under the zoning…

Dave, thanks for the offer, but… - Posted by BillW.

Posted by BillW. on March 23, 2001 at 17:10:02:

Dave, Thanks for the offer, but maybe I haven’t detailed this enough. What I’m talking about here is private like in personal, in the back yard (big yard), not private, like a private country club. This is just a personal setup in the big back yard, so to speak. Nobody plays there except the owner and his buddies. It’s not and never was or intended to be a commercial course. What we’re talking about here is a guy coming home from work and stepping out back and playing a few holes in the privacy of his own yard. (Kinda like Wayne Huizinga has his own personal private course, but way smaller). I don’t believe this could ever be commercialized. No parking, no "clubhouse, no zoning or approval. That’s why I was drawing a blank. Now, if you’re a golf enthusiast, maybe there would be some extra value to having your own little course.( No crowds, always a convenient tee time, and so on.)
BillW.