Eviction - Posted by David

Posted by Bill Gatten on November 07, 2000 at 18:24:00:

Nope iddle be me.

Will lookward to seeing you there.

This is our last 1-day workshop…we go to two day workshops next year (We’ll be in Jacksonville in the 2nd week of February and speaking at the Jacksonville Investor’s Club on the 1st of Feb).

Bill

Eviction - Posted by David

Posted by David on November 05, 2000 at 20:23:51:

Help!!!

It appears that I will be doing my first eviction this week. I will be posting a 30 day notice to terminate on Tuesday the 7th. What do I do next? The property is in Tennessee. Any wisdom anyone can give me on this issue will be much appreciated.

Re: Eviction - Posted by Carmen_FL

Posted by Carmen_FL on November 06, 2000 at 09:57:38:

Speaking from (very) recent experience - Do NOT try to do this first eviction on your own.

We posted a three day notice, which unfortunately was missing 3 little words, and that gave the tenants the ammunition to obtain an emergency hearing, etc, etc and we ended up having to pay THEIR lawyer to reach a settlement with them (ouch!). Would have been much cheaper to get an experienced eviction attorney to file the necessary papers from the get-go. They would have been out within 30 days - they had no defense, nor the money to post with the court (required in Florida, UNLESS you make a dumb mistake like we did). Instead, it took us over 60 days - but they ARE leaving TODAY (YEY! I drove by yesterday, and they were packing, thankfully - although we have a writ of posession, I was expecting to have to send the sheriff after them if they didn’t leave by midnight … )

Re: Eviction - Posted by Paul_MA

Posted by Paul_MA on November 06, 2000 at 02:17:09:

Eviction law for most states can be found at mrlandlord.com.

You should use an attorney for the first one.

Re: Eviction - Posted by PBoone

Posted by PBoone on November 05, 2000 at 20:50:51:

Dot you I’s and Cross your T’s, The first eviction is the toughest so please spare no expense in this one and do not cut corners.
In Oregon if the tenant has not paid you would first serve a 72hr notice then go to the courthouse to file a F.E.D. (forced entry and detainer)What is the 30 day notice going to resolve?
Mutual resolution is the best possible solution so if you can coordinate a move date with the tenant simultaneous to filing that works best. This way you do not have to go through the agony of wasted days in court and he/she does not have an eviction on their record.
Pat

Anmd the 3 little words were?? (nt) - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on November 06, 2000 at 21:23:02:

Re: Eviction - Posted by Ron(SC)

Posted by Ron(SC) on November 06, 2000 at 03:43:26:

PBoone is right about following the letter of the law.
You might also consider offering them $100, a one day rental truck and a clean reference if they volunteer to move out and leave the property in clean condition.

Re: Anmd the 3 little words were?? (nt) - Posted by Carmen_FL

Posted by Carmen_FL on November 07, 2000 at 17:16:22:

Not including weekends (argh!)

P.S. - I hear there will be a PacTrust seminar in Ft. Lauderdale in December - I look forward to seeing you there - or will it be someone else teaching it?