Evictions in IL? - Posted by Doug IL

Posted by Jim IL on June 03, 2000 at 16:48:33:

Doug,
Even though you may want to save money by foregoing a lawyer, you will save money in the long run if you use one.
Call around to a few and get some quotes.
Evictions in our state average about 45 days to complete.
You need to be sure to serve the tenant with a 5 day notice first.
Call a few attny’s and get this guy out.
Now is a GREAT time to fill that vacancy, so get it done.

HTH,
Jim IL

Evictions in IL? - Posted by Doug IL

Posted by Doug IL on June 03, 2000 at 13:46:38:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the laws concerning evictions in the state of IL. I have a tenant who has been a constant problem and just recently threatened another tenant in the same building. I want to get him out asap but don’t want to slip up legally. Can I do this without going thru a lawyer? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Doug IL

Re: Evictions in IL? Read this., - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on June 03, 2000 at 19:57:50:

Doug,

I have done a number of evictions in IL and can tell you that they are not fun. So, let me give you some advice.

First, DO NOT GIVE THE TENANT A 5 DAY NOTICE. That is only used when they have not paid rent. If they are current on rent, this will most likely be thrown out. Instead, give try giving them a 10 day notice. This is used whenever a tenant has violated a term of their lease. Though you may need to check your lease and see what term they may have violated.

Also, you could give them a 30 day notice. Once again you need to look and see what your lease says. Now on the off chance you do not have a written lease I would just give them a 30 day notice.

Finally, I think the best thing to do is go and talk to the tenant and just ask them to leave, be nice but firm. I think that would be the best way to reslove the problem.

Good Luck,

Tim