Expenses Incurred Prior to doing business - Posted by Heeran

Posted by Frank Chin on July 20, 2002 at 05:36:32:

Hi Heeran:

I set up a “C Corp” this year, discussed the matter with my CPA, and:

1- Wrote board resolution calling for the company to reimburse shareholder for organizational expenses.

2- Wrote checks from the company re-imbursing myself for expenses incurred.

I designed a “Expense Report” form by Excel spreadsheet, so I actually file an expense report re-imbursing myself for expenses I personally paid or incurred including organization, mileage, medical co-payments etc. The receipts are attached to the expense reports.

Hope this helps.

Frank Chin

Expenses Incurred Prior to doing business - Posted by Heeran

Posted by Heeran on July 19, 2002 at 17:06:56:

I am in the process of forming an LLC for doing long-term sandwich deals (leases with option to purchase) Can I start doing the business prior to getting the LLC completed and all of the expenses that I’m paying for now to get the LLC up and running, can I eventually expense these once my LLC is finally formed? I’ll have to pay for everything out of my personal checking account or cash since I do not have a business account yet. Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Re: Expenses Incurred Prior to doing business - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on July 22, 2002 at 06:46:08:

Frank’s comments are dead on, as is usual for him. If the business is running, but the LLC isn’t up, the expenses will be deductible. If, however, the expenses are “start-up”, that is, precede both your
LLC AND your business, they are deducted ratably over 5 years.

John Hyre