Expired Listings "how to?" - Posted by Jim Moore

Posted by JohnCB on May 13, 2000 at 14:09:50:

Thank you Jim! You are right, there was NO INTENT to slam Jim for his incorrect spelling of REALTOR, as the rest of my & Soraya’s posts show. Maybe I should use my spell check on all of my posts from here on out(just to be safe) :slight_smile: Thanks again!

jra/CB

Expired Listings “how to?” - Posted by Jim Moore

Posted by Jim Moore on May 12, 2000 at 20:12:13:

At one time we (my wife and I) had considered getting into Lease Optioning. Guess we started off on the wrong foot and in this case you spell foot, “REALATOR”… I called a few realators about getting an expired listings and you would of thought I was asking for a gold mine. Needless to say, we just gave up on the FIRST road block. But, having second thoughts now, thanks to this &%$@! I work for now. You good folks who have a JOB know what I’m talking about. It’s either THEIR(boss) way or the highway… Claude Diamond says LO will work and I STILL believe that. So, we are going(got to) try again. So, QUESTION. How DO you get an expired listings?? And PLEASE, don’t tell me to ask a “REALATOR!” :-)))

Thanks to all,

Jim & Pat Moore
LPxperts@aol.com

Thanks to all (REALTOR) - Posted by Jim Moore

Posted by Jim Moore on May 13, 2000 at 09:12:45:

Thanks to all who answered my question about how to obtain an expired listings.
Also, to think back, I was in the top ten of my spelling class in the 7th grade. Now how was “realater” spelt?? Foot(REALTOR). There!!! I got it… LOL

Again, thanks to all who answered.

Jim & Pat Moore

Re: Expired Listings “how to?” - Posted by Charles

Posted by Charles on May 12, 2000 at 22:35:10:

Try calling on FSBOs. In my area (SW FL) many of them are expired listing and will probably list again eventually. But for now they are trying on their own.

Re: Expired Listings “how to?” - Posted by JohnCB

Posted by JohnCB on May 12, 2000 at 21:21:31:

Jim,

Perhaps you should consider asking for help from a REALTOR, not a REALATOR! I bet most REALTORS are reluctant to provide you with the expired list because:
1.They do not know you
2.They see nothing in it for them(mistake)

Try to develope relationships with a few agents through your local REI club and perhaps you could even partner up with one of them. If clubs are not available in your area, maybe you could visit with a few brokers and ask the managers for a list of their newer agents. These agents will generally have more time available and will be hungry to get their feet wet. Be honest, take them out to lunch and explain to them exactly what you want to do. Let them know that in the future, when you become a successful investor, buying 2-5 properties per month, you could use the services of such a helpful agent. I personally WOULD supply you with the list and I know I’m not the only one…it’s your JOB to go out and find the others! Hope this helps!!!

jra/CB

Re: Expired Listings “how to?” - Posted by Soraya

Posted by Soraya on May 12, 2000 at 21:09:58:

The correct spellling is Realtor.

For about $100 and a month or two studying you can get your real estate license and join the MLS. Then you will have access to Expired listings.

The other option is to buy the “expired listing” list. The going rate is about $4 or $5 per name. It costs seasoned investors on the average between $5 to $10 for a good lead. And expired listings are good leads. THEY ARE OWNERS WHO ARE WILLING TO SELL.

Keep in mind that there is no guarantee that these properties have not been re-listed with another Realtor.

Another option is for you to hire a Realtor as a Buyer’s agent and tell him you will pay a 3% commission on these properties.
Soraya

Re: Thanks to all (REALTOR) - Posted by JohnCB

Posted by JohnCB on May 13, 2000 at 14:13:46:

I mirror Soraya’s words below and I wish you luck with the expireds!

jra/CB

Re: Thanks to all (REALTOR) - Posted by Soraya

Posted by Soraya on May 13, 2000 at 10:28:29:

Jim,
Please do not think I was criticizing you for your spelling. It was absolutely not my intention. I apologize if my message came across that way.
Soraya

Re: Expired Listings “how to?” - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on May 13, 2000 at 10:49:13:

John,

I had started drafting this post as a response to Allen, but I see that the newsgroup editor has already deleted Allen’s posts. Hopefully Allen will be able to read this.

Allen,

NO ONE is perfect. Perhaps John’s intention was to convey some levity in his effort to help Jim recognize his error. When I first read John’s post, I didn’t perceive any malicious intent. Upon re-reading it, I truly can’t tell if he meant to be critical or simply helpful, so I choose to believe he was NOT trying to be critical, condescending, or mean-spirited. Nor did I perceive any rudeness in Soraya’s opening sentence. It seemed very straightforward to me. Again, upon re-reading it, I can’t tell if she meant to be rude or not, so I choose to believe she was NOT trying to be rude.

Often times it is challenging for one to express one’s tone using the written word. The reader does not have the benefit of hearing the author’s tone of voice or seeing the author’s facial expressions. Not too long ago, I sent some private e-mail messages to some folks who had posted on this newsgroup. The posters are all REALTORS®, and had spelled the term correctly but had not used the correct format. In an effort to be helpful, I referred each REALTOR® to a website that outlines the proper use of the REALTOR® designation. One of the REALTORS® thought my message was rude when in fact, I was simply trying to be helpful. I went back and re-read my original message and could not detect even a hint of rudeness, but apparently the REALTOR® read it that way. My INTENTION was certainly NOT to be rude. In fact, when I drafted the original message, I had tried to word it so that the reader would perceive it as friendly and helpful. Obviously I failed in my attempt to convey the spirit of my message to at least one person.

By the way, according to page 226 in my dog-eared copy of Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary, while “develop” is the preferred spelling, “develope” is nevertheless an acceptable spelling.

Best of Success!! from the less than perfect . . .

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX