fair market value of duplex - Posted by Chuck

Posted by Paul Ness, MAI on October 30, 2003 at 06:47:13:

For a duplex, traditional income capitalization as you described it, is not typically done on such small 2-unit properties. It would be tough to get an idea of a cap rate for such a property from an appraiser. Comparable sales data would be most helpful, which is best obtained from either a broker or appraiser. With sale data, unit value indicators are calculated such as price per room, price per sq. ft. and gross rent multiplier. These can then be applied to the subject’s information. The cheapest route (if you don’t want or need an actual appraisal for financing) would be to pay a broker for an opinion of value letter.

fair market value of duplex - Posted by Chuck

Posted by Chuck on October 13, 2003 at 15:16:24:

I have dabbled small time in rentals for many years, and they have been good to me. I would like to consider selling a couple duplexes to get cash for another investment. What is a good simple method of determining the value of a well maintained, fully occupied duplex? Is there some sort of calculator on the web?

Thanks in advance
Chuck

Re: fair market value of duplex - Posted by ken

Posted by ken on October 27, 2003 at 08:03:25:

Agree with Paul. Talk with a local broker. Case in point, there are areas in my home town in which duplexes that rent for $850 a unit, are selling for $250k. The numbers do not work, however they are selling quick at that price.

Re: fair market value of duplex - Posted by tony

Posted by tony on October 16, 2003 at 21:10:44:

USE REAL NUMBERS.

INCOME APPROACH
Take your gross income, subtract a vacancy factor, subtract your REAL expenses which gives you an NOI. Divide that NOI by a cap rate. You can get a cap rate by paying an appraiser $50-$100 bucks. Or just pay for an appraisal…make sure its legitimate and make sure you get a referal.

You can also use a sales approach to value but…most appraisals only use this as a back up for income property appraisals.

Re: fair market value of duplex - Posted by Paul Ness, MAI

Posted by Paul Ness, MAI on October 14, 2003 at 12:54:47:

There are too many variables that impact value - such as your local market conditions, location of your property within its market, condition of the property, etc. The best thing to do is talk to a broker and/or appraiser in your market.