Fannie & Freddie question - Posted by John Corey

Posted by Rob Ricker on May 18, 2006 at 22:46:47:

I’m not too fond of bullet filled letters, so let’s hope I’m right :slight_smile: Seriously though, I do know that Freddie and Fannie are buying and handling their own REO’s, and I’ve examined alot of transfers here in Tennessee to Freddie. There’s always a deed paper trail going from resident to Lender/Servicer to Freddie.

p.s. I hope to attend one of your finance workshops in the next 1-2 years. I find myself wishing everytime I do a deal that I had a good business line of credit to season with. That’s a step or two away right now, but I’ll get there eventually.

Fannie & Freddie question - Posted by John Corey

Posted by John Corey on May 18, 2006 at 07:55:10:

When a loan that is in a portfolio owned or packaged by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac goes into default what happens? In particular, if the property is taken back and becomes an asset for sale from the ‘lender’ what is the legal entity that shows up on the MLS listing or on the deed?

I somehow have the impression that the asset will either show up under the name of the lender who was doing the servicing as they have to buy it back out of the portfolio or that it might show up as owned by FHA (or maybe HUD).

I was asked a question recently and I can not for the life of me remember the real facts.

John Corey

Re: Fannie & Freddie question - Posted by jason

Posted by jason on May 18, 2006 at 09:36:01:

On a house I have an offer in on, the deed is held in the name of “federal national mortgage association”

it was foreclosed on 6 months ago

Re: Fannie & Freddie question - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on May 18, 2006 at 08:58:40:

John,

Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac is the insurer not the lender. It will show up under the name of the lender who was doing the servicing.

Ed Garcia

Re: Fannie & Freddie question - Posted by lukeNC

Posted by lukeNC on May 18, 2006 at 08:13:36:

fannie mae = federal national mortgage association

freddie mac = government national mortgage association

it’ll usually show as a deed from the lender to one of these entities upon completion of the foreclosure, if it is a loan backed by either one of these entities.

Re: Fannie & Freddie question - Posted by Rob Ricker

Posted by Rob Ricker on May 18, 2006 at 20:40:21:

It will eventually show up in Fannie or Freddie’s name though Ed. The Lender will forclose, then deed to Fannie/Freddie in order to collect their insurance.

Fannie and Freddie take title and add to their REO’s, then list with local real estate agents for sale.

Fannie & Freddie both handle their REO’s - Posted by Eric

Posted by Eric on May 22, 2006 at 14:02:05:

Both Fannie and Freddie handle the REO’s that they own in their portfolio?s. They both use seller/servicers to service the loan, but if you don’t pay, then they foreclose. This is for all of the mortgages that they OWN, not the mortgages that they back (insure).

Fannie REO site http://www.mortgagecontent.net/reoSearchApplication/fanniemae/reoSearch.jsp

Freddie’s REO site
http://www.homesteps.com/

Re: Fannie & Freddie question - Posted by Rob Ricker

Posted by Rob Ricker on May 18, 2006 at 22:43:58:

I’m not too fond of bullet filled letters, so let’s hope I’m right :slight_smile: Seriously though, I do know that Freddie and Fannie are buying and handling their own REO’s, and I’ve examined alot of transfers here in Tennessee to Freddie. There’s always a deed paper trail going from resident to Lender/Servicer to Freddie.

p.s. I hope to attend one of your finance workshops in the next 1-2 years. I find myself wishing everytime I do a deal that I had a good business line of credit to season with. That’s a step or two away right now, but I’ll get there eventually.

Re: Fannie & Freddie question - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on May 18, 2006 at 21:54:01:

Rob,

That?s not my understanding, but you have me doubting if I?m right, so I will check into it tomorrow. If you?re right thinks for the info, if you?re not, I?m going to send you a letter with a bullet in it.

Seriously Rob, it?s been a while since I?ve been involved or concerned on the process. From my recollection, the lender foreclosed and charged the insurer with the deficiency balance up to 80% after sale and it doesn?t occur at all as you have suggested, but as I said I will check into it.

Ed Garcia

oops! posted to myself instead of Ed *** - Posted by Rob Ricker

Posted by Rob Ricker on May 18, 2006 at 22:47:58:

nm