FAQ vs Continous Exchange of Info - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on April 01, 2002 at 07:55:54:

Hello Heidi,

The issue isn’t when new or different angles are brought up. It’s when the same question is asked over and over and over again.

When someone posts a question such as that, I always give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they’re not aware that the archive search exists. What a wealth of information is stored there!! The same holds true when someone posts a question on one of the news groups when it would have better to post it on a more appropriate news group. In that case, I simply assume that the poster isn’t aware that the other news groups exist. Rarely do I spend much time on news group II, but every time I happen to check in over there, I notice a lot of posts that would have probably gotten more and perhaps better answers if the question had been posted here instead.

Should this web site ever create a FAQ section (which, by the way, would be an addition that I’d applaud), I doubt if that will stem the tide of “free speech” on the various boards. And I doubt that a poster with a new question or a question with a new twist will be preemptively sent to the FAQ. No one will be “forced” to use the FAQ. As for the “differences of opinions and many nuances” that you mention, those will still be available to explore as long as the archive search feature remains.

In summary, I feel that your hypothetical concerns are unfounded and therefore, I disagree with your position regarding a FAQ section.

By the way, you brought up a good point when you raised the issue of “MY STATE”. Most real estate laws and customs are state specific. I, for one, think it’s a good thing when someone posts where they’re from when asking questions. Just my 2¢.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

FAQ vs Continous Exchange of Info - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Heidi W on April 01, 2002 at 24:44:15:

Regarding Bandit Signs (for example) I for one am glad that we haven’t developed a FAQ section that forces everyone to go to the ‘pre-selected’ answers on the subject.

Clearly there’s differences of opinions and many nuances of this (and most frequently asked questions) that could come up…such as is it dangerous to nail to a utility pole, how much are fines in MY STATE, and so on.

If we ever do get a FAQ section up - I hope we’re still open for some free speach on the boards - especially when new or different angles are queried.

For example - what if there was a new group of vigilanties that started ‘shooting’ holes through the signs. It would be sad - if that poster was told to GO TO THE FAQ.

Just my late night thought.

Sleep well and happy Easter.

Heidi W