Feeling so down and out - Posted by Irene

Posted by Anne_ND on April 04, 2006 at 23:09:00:

Irene,

I’m sorry to hear of your troubles.

One thing that is pretty consistent among successful real estate investors is persistence. You will encounter challenges and you need to get around them. The process can be frustrating, but hopefully will make you more resilient and creative. Your age is irrelevant.

Some good inspirational material is by Jim Rohn. You might find him at your local public library or on ebay.

good luck,

Anne

Feeling so down and out - Posted by Irene

Posted by Irene on April 04, 2006 at 20:03:41:

I need words of kindness and encouragement at this very low time in my life. I’m a 58 yr old woman and I feel alone, left out and forgotten. I know I will pull out of this low that I am in, I know I will. I was turned down for a mtg on the house that I have been living in for 7 yrs now. I got to get out now in little less than 2 mths. The seller is a very money hungry, unbending man and will not budge to lend a hand to help me purchase, I’ve already asked…it’s useless . It’s over now, I don’t even want to talk about that and it’s not my intent to rake this man. I really need to heal my wounds because I feel so stupid and exposed (because I was so dumb to think that I could get financing on such a grand house…who do I think I am anyway to think so big! I guess I’m bitter, huh. I tried and got knocked back. Yes, I guess I am bitter and good reason. I’m asking, should I just give in and be dictated to, should I reach for the stars…for my dream of a better life. Have any of you guys and gals become successful at my age, please tell me some of the things that you’ve run up against and how you overcome them and what you did, how you felt and things like that. I really do need a boost. I am turning my life around and have started an automatic savings acct. kinda late in life, yes, I know, but I am determined. Oh, I’ve been such a fool. Thanks for listening and please, please write me.

Irene
Prince Edward Island
Canada

Re: Feeling so down and out - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on April 07, 2006 at 18:44:46:

Agree with what everyone else has written… Like Thomas Edison, you have just found one way NOT to buy a house. It took him 10,000 times to get the light bulb right…

Come back after 9,999 more tries :slight_smile:

GL

Mark

Re: Feeling so down and out - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on April 05, 2006 at 18:25:32:

It may be hard to comprehend now, when you’re feeling sad and
frustrated, but IMO no one is dictating to you…except you. When you
say “who do I think I am anyway…” that’s what the rest of the world
knows and senses.

I’ve come full circle from being that person who believed that the
seller, the landlord, the developer, the boss…“is a very money hungry
man” to being thought of as that person by others! I hope for you that
you will be able to see it from this angle someday too.

If your goal is to buy a house then do let being turned down for a
mortgage on this one be more than a knot in the string. There may be
many rejections in the near future. Sometimes the string is long and
the knots are many. Persistance and your perspective are all that you
really can control. Kristine

Re: Feeling so down and out - Posted by Barry (GA)

Posted by Barry (GA) on April 05, 2006 at 10:06:38:

Irene,

Colonel Sanders did not start the KFC franchise until he was 62 years old and living on Social Security.

It is never too late!

Good investing,
Barry

Re: Feeling so down and out - Posted by John

Posted by John on April 05, 2006 at 07:48:23:

Irene,
I wish I could offer words to really help but I can’t. I will offer some observations, that I made in life.

Successful people seem to get up 1 more time than they get knocked down.
Life’s low spots prepares one to appreciate the high spots, the inbetween areas are where your charactor and drive takes over.
Remember life is not fair or kind.
Everyday above ground is an opportunity to be seized.
When you are down there is no place else to go but up.

I am 56, I started late. I started investing at 51. It was a struggle but quitting was and is not an option. I feel successful in this business, although compared to some I have not done anything. I have bought and sold about 5 properties a year and kept some as reentals. It is a challange, everyday. Age is not a factor, you are never to old or too young to start.

If you have done all you can do to buy this property maybe you are being lead down a different path. There is always something better around the corner.

I usually don’t write things like this but I hope something I said may help you go on. I will pray that things will work out for you in the future.

Just keep swimming - Posted by mary

Posted by mary on April 05, 2006 at 07:25:51:

Irene,

You are but a child trying to learn to ride a bike. How many times do they fall down and think there is NO WAY before they soar? There are so many stories of people who got knocked down early and they just kept pounding away till they reached success. Eli Lilly filed bankruptcy multiple times prior to forming Lilly Pharmecueticals, Ford… on and on, I wish I had a long list.
Get knocked down, that is ok, but get back up.

Mary