Finally located a truly motivated seller - Posted by Ken L (MI)
Posted by Ken L (MI) on March 24, 2006 at 07:41:48:
I am partners with my brother in investing. So last night he came across an add, placed yesterday that said “Must sell…blah, blah, blah.” So he called and the lady is moving out of the state in 2 weeks. She has her 1984 3/2 listed for $8000.
My brother got her down to $4000 on the phone. This is a good thing, so we try to set up an appointment for last night. But she couldn’t do it. So we set and appointment up for Sunday. Then my brother is talking to her a bit longer and I notice he is starting to sound like a motivated buyer. So I tried to tell him to calm down a little bit. He backed off a little.
Anyway he gets off the phone and I told him to not be so eager with this lady. He says, that he is going out there today to see it with a purchase agreement in hand. He says he thinks we can pay up to $3500 for it. The problem is the ad says the place must be moved.
So I told him (I’d go but I have to work then I have to go to an ultrasound with my wife down in Green Bay) that we still need to have the lot manager approve of it (this shouldn’t be a problem as they seem motivated to fill their lot back up) and we need to do a title check to see if there are any leins on it.
So I told him to go out there with a purchase agreement and no more than $100 cash. Put in the agreement that the home will need lot approval for the sale to be final. Then try to get her best cash price again.
I think he is exhibiting signs of being a motivated buyer and while she is certainly a motivated seller, I think we should let her sweat it out a little bit and get the home for closer to $2000, it’s probably going to be $1000 to move it, so that puts us into it for $3000.
He is worried that she’ll sell it to somebody else if we don’t snap it up quickly. I am not so sure this is the way to look at it. I mean, if she does, then we are out nothing. If we wait, that could be an extra $1000 in our pockets. I also told him to be certain he gets the lot owner’s name so we can talk about just leaving it in place and saving ourselves $1000 to move it. Or look into financing the lot and get the land/home deal.
Any thoughts on talking him back off the ledge. I am afraid he’s going to head out there with $2000 cash and buy the thing without doing his due-diligence and we are going to be sorry.