Financing and Private Lenders - Posted by Peter Chan

Posted by John B. Corey Jr. on August 22, 2005 at 18:15:54:

There is no magic to a JV and therefore no courses per say. Oh, I am sure you could find one to spend money on but you would be paying for info that is free here.

If a deal makes sense to you and it will actually work then deciding to let a buddy in on the deal is all you need to know about JV. Instead of one buyer you have two.

There are lots of variations but the key is a deal either makes sense or it does not independent of the ownership.

JV deals can be very messy as two people rarely agree. Hence what you should focus on is the deal structure (who pays, how puts in time, how much of each, when will people exit, what happens when someone dies or have a major life event that changes their motivation).

There is no obvious reason to do a JV deal if you could do the deal by yourself. Use hard money as an alternative to a JV deal - most of the time hard money costs less then what a partner would expect.

Many of the US books will be useful in Canada when it comes to thinking about deal structures. The legal framework for a JV deal is specific to the legal rules in a location so that is much more local in nature.

John Corey
Chelsea Private Equity LLC

Financing and Private Lenders - Posted by Peter Chan

Posted by Peter Chan on August 22, 2005 at 02:39:14:


I, like many before me, am Canadian. I’ve taken a few courses - Canadian courses on real estate investing which gave me the confidence to do a no money down deal on our personal residence. The course I took referred to Joint Ventures and I am interested in learning more about the skills required to get private lenders to partner with me. All the courses I find are American and I don’t want to purchase anything unless I’m certain it’ll be applicable up here in Canada.

Could you recommend a course, seminar, book that would give me the skills needed to acquire private financing applicable here in Canada?

All the best,


Re: Financing and Private Lenders - Posted by Brian (UT)

Posted by Brian (UT) on August 24, 2005 at 20:35:37:


I don’t know which part of Canada you live in but where ever it is, you must have a licensing dept for real estate agents. May I suggest you order the law book from them and I think you will find it will provide you with a good foundation, to help you to determine what you can and can’t do.