Finding Lonnie deals when few are advertised - Posted by Bob

Posted by Big 'Ol BA Bob - Tx on April 13, 2000 at 17:24:41:

Yessir, go right in and introduce yerself. Tell em exactly what it is yer a doing and just act like yer an old pro. All they can say is no. Most PMs are real nice and responsive. The ones that aren’t are probably doin’ it themselves. Seriously, another good place to look is to call the guys that move the mobile homes. They are into wholeselling themselves more often than not. You can find out tons of info from those guys. I buy many homes from and through leads they give me.

Finding Lonnie deals when few are advertised - Posted by Bob

Posted by Bob on April 12, 2000 at 19:46:08:

I know that there are many mobil home parks in the area but there are almost none advertised in the paper. Most of the ones that are advertised are by the parks or the MH dealers who are marketing the used ones. How do I get in on the action? Do the Lonnie principles still work? If the parks are handling the used sales, meeting the PM doesn’t seem like it would be productive. Any advice?

Bob

Try This… - Posted by Jack-NY

Posted by Jack-NY on April 13, 2000 at 09:51:27:

I would try to do a search on the web for mobile home parks in your general area, I would not go over say a 30 mile radius just to much driving. Also you could call your state offices, most states have a manufactured home department, ask for a list of parks either in your county, or the whole state. John also has a good idea, just drive around and look, this is a great experience and you get to learn the area, also be on the look-out for single family homes for sale, other mobiles on land, you just never know what you’ll find. Hope this helps…

Re: Finding Lonnie deals when few are advertised - Posted by John Lowry

Posted by John Lowry on April 12, 2000 at 20:22:58:

I don’t know your area, however I do know mine. So please bare with me. I do alot of driving, and I have found that the most responsive parks are the ones that are not advertised. I just drive around and look for them I get to know my community and surrounding areas. So far this has worked for me. Go to a neighboring small town and just drive around. I have taken the family out for a Sunday drive and found parks. This way I kill two birds with one stone. I spend time with my family and locate potential parks. Then during the week or on a Saturday I go back to these parks and visit with the PM and usually visit with them for a few hours. I even spend time with the PM’s that won’t let me do business in their park to learn more about the business through their experiences. There is a wealth of education in listening to someone who has spent the last 20 years of their life in the business. Yes Lonnies deals and principles are very productive. Even in a flooded market like the one I live in.

Hope this helps.

John Lowry
Muskogee, OK
JohnMOK

Re: Finding Lonnie deals when few are advertised - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on April 13, 2000 at 08:05:14:

I agree with John. Deals are most often located via relationships, not newspaper adds or even for sale signs for that matter.

The people who advertise in the paper usually are looking to sell their homes for retail prices. Many post for sale signs in their windows in the hopes of selling for retail. Some go to brokers in the hopes of selling for retail.

We don’t pay retail! So locating unmotivated sellers is not only frustrating, but more often fruitless.

Your best bet is to get to know the park managers. This will take time. You cannot call them on the phone and try and do business on the first day. You need to meet them face to face. Stop in a couple of times per week just to shoot the breeze if nothing else. Before long, you become a regular and they will be far more likely to open up to you and tell you about motivated sellers who may owe lot rent or bought another home and are paying two lot rents. They can tell you who has had their home for sale for months without success etc. They are not likely to just tell this to strangers.

Relationships will locate motivated sellers. Work to establish the relationship and the referrals will follow.

Best Wishes,

Tony-VA

How to break the ice? - Posted by Bob-MD

Posted by Bob-MD on April 13, 2000 at 16:48:05:

How do you break the ice on the first visit with the PM? Do you just go in and introduce yourself as an investor in MHs or do you do what Lonnie suggests…say you are looking for a MH for a nice young couple. Is there something else you do to start the conversation? It seems like getting to know the PM is the best approach but I just am unsure about how to start the relationship.

Thanks,
Bob