Finding lost mortgagee for lein satisfaction - Posted by JC-FL

Posted by JC-FL on April 17, 1999 at 01:15:23:

Please excuse my mistake. I meant to say mortgagee insead of mortgagor. Ooops

JC

Finding lost mortgagee for lein satisfaction - Posted by JC-FL

Posted by JC-FL on April 17, 1999 at 01:06:18:

Thanks in advance for your help. I have a property that had a private second mortgage on. This mortgage was paid in full, but a satisfation was never recieved by the mortgagor. I want to sell this property, but can’t find the mortgagor to get the lien satisfaction from.

Is there any way around getting this satisfaction?
What can I do?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

JC

Re: Finding lost mortgagee for lein satisfaction - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on April 18, 1999 at 17:41:56:

In Florida, the statute of limitations on mortgages is 5 years from the date of the final payment if the date can be determined from the recorded info or 20 years from the date of recording if it cannot be determined.

There are alot of resources for tracking people down especially on the internet. Try infospace.com, anywho.com, bigfoot.com, and whowhere.com.

Re: Finding lost mortgagee - Posted by Irwin

Posted by Irwin on April 17, 1999 at 15:08:44:

If it has been paid, and the current owner has proof of payment, sometimes title companies will insure over the outstanding mortgage, depending on the amount. However, it is still advisable to track down that mortgagee and get a recordable satisfaction.

Re: Finding lost mortgagee for lein satisfaction - Posted by rudy-austex

Posted by rudy-austex on April 17, 1999 at 07:15:08:

There is a statute of limitation on liens, judgements and motgages…what does your title co. say it is in your state…in texas it is 4 yrs after the last payment is due…rudy

Re: Finding lost mortgagee for lein satisfaction - Posted by SteveS(CPA)

Posted by SteveS(CPA) on April 17, 1999 at 01:28:07:

First question I would ask is was it really paid off?

If it was where were they sending the payments? That should at least give you a start. If they no longer live at that address, I would spend $50 to do a skip trace on them. This should tell you where they live currently. Unless they are trying not to be found. Then thats another problem.

Hope this helps.

PS Try looking in Yahoo’s people search too.