Fireplace insert in rental properties? - Posted by Patrick

Posted by CurtNY on December 21, 2000 at 09:39:47:

Patrick,
I don’t own any rental properties (mostly just rehabbs & flips) so please take this advice at face value. What exactly are you worried about, the insert causing a fire, if so why not spend the $75-$100 to have it cleaned and checked out. If its an issue with someone getting burned (children for example), I would just have the tenant sign a CYA letter, stating that thess units can be dangerous if not used properly, you suggest not using the unit, but if they do they take sole responsibility for their actions. (something to that effect-I’m not an attorney). Good Luck.

CurtNY

Fireplace insert in rental properties? - Posted by Patrick

Posted by Patrick on December 21, 2000 at 09:22:00:

Would like opinions on the the use of a fire place insert in one of my rental properties, When I rented this house out, I told my tenant that I preferred that they not use it, however, when I went to collect rent, they had started using it. I am afraid of the safety hazards and liability issues that could result. This tenant has always paid their rent on time. Am I making a big deal out of nothing, or should I have them discontinue the use of the this insert? (I should have took it out when I aquired this property in the first place, then I wouldn’t have had to worry about it). Please let me know your thoughts? What would some of you do?

Re: Fireplace insert in rental properties? - Posted by JPinPA

Posted by JPinPA on December 22, 2000 at 07:43:23:

I am a subcontractor for a hearth retailer for the past 7 years and have installed many f/p inserts. Your post doesn’t list the fuel but I’ll assume it is wood.

Wood inserts are only as safe as the installation and the user. Is the insert installed in compliance with NFPA codes and local codes? What is the condition of the insert? When was the insert and venting last inspected? (National Code requires and annual inspection.)

In regards to your tenant burning the unit…You will have to make that call. Burning solid fuels require a learning curve, and personally, I would not feel comfortable allowing a tenant to burn wood.

I would also contact my insurance carrier and discuss the situation.

I think you’ll sleep better if you remove the unit and return to your original agreement.

Happy Holidays,
JPinPA