First Deal - illegal tenant - HELP! - Posted by Mary Williams

Posted by Mary W. on May 25, 1999 at 21:33:15:

Thanks everyone-very helpful information

Mary

First Deal - illegal tenant - HELP! - Posted by Mary Williams

Posted by Mary Williams on May 25, 1999 at 11:43:13:

There is a former family house in Philadelphia on my husband’s side being left to me due to no one knowing what to do with it due to the neighborhood changing. It had been empty for years and now we understand someone is living in it illegal (apparently this person’s mother lives next door and is using her electricity). I basically want to flip it to a contractor

I’ve talked to Licenses & Inspections who will only evict if they can board it up. Thought about sending a registered letter requesting this person stating call me if he wants to stay so we can work out some payment arrangements (yeah, right!)or vacant the premises by months end. I basically want to flip it to someone willing to fix it up. Any ideas?

Re: First Deal - illegal tenant - HELP! - Posted by Glenn-PA

Posted by Glenn-PA on May 25, 1999 at 18:56:56:

Mary - I once had a “squatter” in an apartment that I owned in Baltimore. The original tenant skipped and a friend moved in before I even noticed the skip. Baltimore has a company that does nothing but evictions and I called them and had them issue an eviction notice to the tenant that skipped. They also advised me how to file a “squatters” notice with the sheriff. I then contacted the “squatter” and told him to beat it. He left before any legal proceedings and the entire incident cost me about $15. Find out if there is a company in the area that does evictions and employ their services. The eviction company in Baltimore is a great resource - fast, efficient and inexpensive. Good luck.

Re: First Deal - illegal tenant - HELP! - Posted by Dan in Dallas

Posted by Dan in Dallas on May 25, 1999 at 18:56:16:

You’re not dealing with a landlord-tenant situation here…you’re dealing with a trespasser. I would (to be nice) give them about 12 hours to get out…then call the police and report the trespass. (You will probably have to assure them that you will prosecute the case).

Dan

Re: First Deal - illegal tenant - HELP! - Posted by Tiger

Posted by Tiger on May 25, 1999 at 17:51:20:

Call the sheriff’s office and ask how to evict in your county.

Re: First Deal - illegal tenant - HELP! - Posted by FJW

Posted by FJW on May 25, 1999 at 13:03:34:

Find someone to flip it to and tell them the situation. They may take care of it for you.

FJW