FIRST DEAL!!! LAND CONTRACT!!!! PUT ON YOUR SEATBELT!!!! - Posted by Christopher

Posted by ScottE on May 23, 2000 at 18:15:33:

Chris,
Yes, the ONLY way to do deals with a Land Contract is to get the deed signed over to you, but held in escrow. This protects you from folks that have a ‘change of heart’ or situation or decide that they just don’t like you as much anymore and refuse to give you the deed after you have fulfilled all of the requirements to be awarded the deed.

Once again, the best way is to get a deed now. Is there some reason why they would not create a note and mortgage? It’s virtually the same (owner financing), but now you would have the deed. Certainly a much stronger position.

I forgot to mention one more thing about your original post- be very careful about determining true value based on the assessed value. You should do some comps first to determine a better market value.

Good luck!
Scott

FIRST DEAL!!! LAND CONTRACT!!! PUT ON YOUR SEATBELT!!! - Posted by Christopher

Posted by Christopher on May 23, 2000 at 08:55:38:

Okay folks,

Here it is. I have been on this board for a while, and with your help, and members of my real estate investment group, i am attempting my first deal - put on your seat belt!!!

HERE IS THE DEAL:

PROPERTY - DUPLEX - 2700 SQ FT, EACH APT. 3 BEDROOMS
HARDWOOD FLOORS, SOME NEW WINDOWS

CONDITION - FAIR - NEEDS LOTS OF PAINT, A
FEW REPLACEMENT WINDOWS, DOORS,
AND NEW KITCHENS AND BATHROOMS.
ROOF WILL BE DUE IN TWO YEARS (est.)

ASSESSED VALUE $65,500

ASKING PRICE $42,000

TAXES APPROX $1700/ YR, OR 140/MO

INSURANCE: APPROX 500, YR

The story goes like this: One’s mother lived in one apartment, and rented the other. Mom goes into a nursing home, and son lives 2 hours away - motivated seller!! Son is selling for mom (obviously). MOTIVATED SELLER

The place needs work. I estimate…$10,000 bucks. The realtor told me that the buyer would "accept something in the 30,000’s. After allowing my fiancee to inspect the place (she is so cool), we decided to buckle ourselves for the deal. Here is what i offered:

THE DEAL:

“Mr. Realtor, I do have an offer for you. I think it is an offer that is win-win. I am willing to give the seller his FULL $42,000 dollars asking price, but i have to do it my way (The realtor’s eye became SO BIG!). I am willing to give the seller $4000 bucks down so that he can cover his upfront closing costs, your commisiion fee, etc… (This will leave a $38,000 balance). I will then give the seller $380/mo for 100 months ($38,000) with no interest.”

I have excellent credit, and i think the guy will accept. In my eyes, this is a no money down deal (basically)(i will explain) and i am getting the property for essentially $31,000 bucks. AND the property is paid off in full in 8.3 years.

LOGIC:
NO MONEY DOWN: I placed my 4000 bucks in
a CD at the bank; the bank in turn lended
me a $4000, cash secured loan . I am getting
5% on the CD, and paying 8.45 % interest on
my loan. (the difference is negligible). I
then give the 4000 i loaned from the bank
at the closing.

DEAL: The devil is in the details. I offered him
$38,000 over 100 months AT ZERO INTEREST. If
you figure the present value of the term ($380
mo for 100 months) at the going interest rate
(assume 9%), the present value is equal to
$26,666.

TOTAl: I bought the property for 26,666 + 4000 =
approx 31,000!!! AND the house is paid off
in 8.3 years (100 mo / 12)

STRATEGY: Live in one , rent the other. This is a
huge benefit to the seller. I won’t just
walk away and let the place fall down. I
should be able to rent the one apartment
for $500/ month after fix up. my monthly
costs (without assuming repairs) is
($380+100(pay back of 4000 loan)+140(taxes)
+$42/mo (insurance) = $662. My cost
for living there is: $662 - 500 = 162 plus
utilities. I will later rent the other unit
for 500 and make a profit.

However, i have never done one of these deals before so any advice on what i should do in terms of the legal end would be appreciated. I am getting a lawyer. AND comments on the deal are appreciated.

thanks guys,

chris

Re: FIRST DEAL!!! LAND CONTRACT!!! PUT ON YOUR SEATBELT!!! - Posted by DD

Posted by DD on May 23, 2000 at 12:54:24:

Hi Chris

I agree with Scott—buy it now—no need for a land contract.
Also, remember for the future----go for the best workable offer to start. If the seller was willing to accept an offer in the 30’s, you should have considered this. Because you offered “full price” you “expect” to get your terms. However, a seller might not want to lend you 31K interest free for 8 years…now you have little to “negotiate” with.
If you offered 35K, with the same terms, he may have accepted!!! If not, now you can “increase” the price in order to get your terms----get it???
You never know what is important to a seller. Make your offers taking the best of it—then be willing to adjust to what the seller wants—and adjust somewhere else to get what you want!!!

Best of luck.

Re: FIRST DEAL!!! LAND CONTRACT!!! PUT ON YOUR SEATBELT!!! - Posted by ScottE

Posted by ScottE on May 23, 2000 at 10:03:41:

Chris,
Why not buy the place, get a deed and have your seller carry back a note instead of doing a Land Contract? If the property is in his mother’s name you could potentially be looking at all sorts of problems (i.e. nursing home liens, etc.). No to mention that the average life expectancy in a nursing home is 3.8 years.
If your seller was just carrying back a piece of paper, at some point in the future you could offer to pay him off early (at a discount, of course) and perhaps increase your yield.

Just some thoughts…

Good luck
Scott

Re: FIRST DEAL!!! LAND CONTRACT!!! PUT ON YOUR SEATBELT!!! - Posted by christopher

Posted by christopher on May 23, 2000 at 10:12:20:

Scott,

thanks for your response. How about this? Can’t I have the deed recorded in my name, and then have the deed placed in escrow so that i can just receive it when i finally pay him off. OR can i put the deed with her nam,e in escrow, with a letter signed by him/grandmother which proceeses the deed upon final payment?

This is a way i have heard it done on this board.

Comments?

chris