First emotional test - Posted by Nate-WI

Posted by Bobbie on March 10, 2006 at 20:59:35:

Good job Nate.
Sounds like you were very poliet, honest, sincere and showed sympathy to this woman.
I can appreciate where you were coming from. It’s easier said than done to NOT get emotionally involved and make an offer higher than you were ready to make.

If this trailer is meant to be, it will be. If not, you know in your heart of hearts, that you did the right thing for the seller and for your business.

Keep up the good work,
Bobbie :slight_smile:

First emotional test - Posted by Nate-WI

Posted by Nate-WI on March 09, 2006 at 21:00:04:

Hey all,

Went and visited with a lady who has emphazima (sp?) mid 50’s, been on disibility for 3 years now, etc. etc. I went through the home and was about to give her my card and say if something changes give me a call. She then says to me…“Do you have a minute”

Oh crap. “yeah sure I have a minute” She goes on and on about her life, her problems, literally almost in tears. She asked me what I pay for these types of homes and I told her in the 1500 dollar range. She was asking 6K. The conversation was a great one, polite on both sides, and she knew where I was coming from. She said if she could get 3K she would be happy. I stuck to my guns and told her that I hope she doesn’t get 3K but that she gets the 6K that she is asking…and that if something changes then she has an “out” She is moving at the end of the month so dead lot rent is on the horizon. She said that even though my offer is very low that she would give it strong consideration due to the circumstances.

I haven’t been through that type of situation yet and I’m happy and yet suprised that I didn’t “give in” a little. It was a toughie,

Nate-WI

Re: First emotional test - Posted by Marty (MO)

Posted by Marty (MO) on March 12, 2006 at 05:06:24:

in the success stories, there’s a guy who has 4 rules:

1. show up
  2. pay attention
  3. be honest
  4. don’t be attached to the outcome

His article blew me away- anyway, this fit his model perfectly. good job!

Marty

Re: First emotional test - Posted by jp(sc)

Posted by jp(sc) on March 10, 2006 at 06:26:27:

You did the right thing. I think that some people, even though their disabilities and hardships may be very real, have learned how to use those things to their advantage. Any time something isn’t going their way, they’re going to break out the hard luck story to get the sympathy vote. While there is nothing wrong with showing them sympathy and compassion, don’t let it effect your business decisions, like how much you pay. You did the right thing.